Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » only eleven disciples?

Author Topic: only eleven disciples?
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 14 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay thanks for the clarification

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I point out that they couldnot have possibly acted in haste, for it is written:

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the Scriptures,

Their eyes are supernaturally opened to understand the Bible, and Mat 19:28 quoted above sets the initiative, while Paul had not seen, which was the requirement for an apostle, to have been a disciple.

Act 1:3 To whom also he showed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God

We can see that this amazing Bible study by the risen Lord Himself, having opened the eyes of their understanding placed them in a much better position of understanding what the program and plan of God was for the re-offering of the kingdom to Israel.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I think Paul should have been the 12th apostle. But they acted in haste before the holy spirit had come upon them. If you notice, Matthias was never mentioned again.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mat 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

12 is the number of Israel. Casting lots was the customary way to communicate with God throughout the OT economy.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear brothers and sisters in Christ, I was surprised to read yesterday that "only eleven disciples went into Galilee" after Jesus's resurrection to meet Jesus in a certain mountain:

Matthew 28 (KJV)
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.

By now, Judas had betrayed the Lord and hanged himself, but now that I think about it, it is not until Acts that the eleven disciples choose a twelfth disciple:

Acts 1:26
And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Go figure.

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement