Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » and now they held His feet?

Author Topic: and now they held His feet?
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Mathew, they held = krateō = seized

John, touch = haptomai = cling

ALT
Joh 20:17 Jesus says to her, "Stop holding Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father. But be going to My brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your* Father, and [to] My God and your* God.'"

Mat 28:9
But as they were going to tell to His disciples, and look!, Jesus met them, saying, "Greetings!" So having approached, they take hold of His feet and prostrated themselves in worship before Him.
Mat 28:10
Then Jesus says to them, "Stop being afraid! Be going

He is saying, stop freaking out, go...

They had grabbed Him by the feet.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear brother epouraniois, I thank you for being here and the Greek contribution that you can make to this CBBS--excellent.

you write
quote:
... problems are instantly overcome in the Greek.

In Matthew they aren't holding His feet, they seized Him by the feet.

I love you, brother, but what is the difference between "holding His feet" and "seizing His feet"?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the English does seem to present these many problems which are instantly overcome in the Greek.

In Mat they aren't holding His feet, they siezed Him by the feet. In John touch Me not = don't be holding me.

We can see it, they seek, searching, having traversed the long path twice, they run, drop, sieze Him by the feet, turn their heads away from Him. He says don't be holding my feet.

They turned, they turned half way around, they turned back towards Him.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in one place the two Marys were able to hold His feet immediately after His resurrection:

Matthew 28
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

2 And, look, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the LORD descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

3 And his countenance was like lightning and his clothing white as snow.

5 And the angel said to the women, Don't be afraid: for I know that you seek Jesus, who was crucified.

6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, and see the place where the Lord had lain.

7 Now go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, look, he goes ahead of you into Galilee; there shall you see him: look, you have been told.

8 And they {the two Marys} departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and they ran to bring his disciples this word.

9 But as they went to tell his disciples, look, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

But in John 20:16-18 it says the following:

John 20
16 And Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned around and said to him, Rabboni; which means, Teacher.

17 Then Jesus said to her, Do not touch me; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brothers, and say to them, I ascend unto my Father and to your Father; and to my God and to your God.

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the LORD, and that he had spoken these things to her.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, how is it that the two Marys, including Mary Magdalene, met Jesus right after departing from the sepulchre, the two Marys were able to touch his feet.

But in John 20, what appears to be the description of the same event, Jesus says to Mary Magdalene, "don't touch Me because I have not yet ascended to the Father."

Until I read Matthew 28this week, I have always believed and have always taught that Mary Magdalene was not able to touch Jesus right after His resurrection because Jesus still had to ascend to His Father first; and the way Jesus said it, it had always seemed to me that Jesus was always "too hot to handle right after the resurrection".

But now they held His feet? [Confused]

May the LORD God of Israel bless all who participate on this CBBS, I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus of Nazareth, born in Bethlehem-Judah, of the family of David. "O, son of David, have mercy on me!"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement