Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » MOSES AND THE PROPHETS

Author Topic: MOSES AND THE PROPHETS
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Israel, built upon types, shadows, prophetic utterances, showing forth their future, both of blessings and destructions, of scattering/gathering, of their fatefull choice and it's end:

1Ki 9:7 Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:
1Ki 9:8 And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and to this house?
1Ki 9:9 And they shall answer, Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshiped them, and served them: therefore hath the LORD brought upon them all this evil.

Jer 26:18 Micah the Morasthite prophesied in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and spoke to all the people of Judah, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Zion shall be plowed like a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of a forest.

Eze 7:20 As for the beauty of his ornament, he set it in majesty: but they made the images of their abominations and of their detestable things therein: therefore have I set it far from them.
Eze 7:21 And I will give it into the hands of the strangers for a prey, and to the wicked of the earth for a spoil; and they shall pollute it.
Eze 7:22 My face will I turn also from them, and they shall pollute my secret place: for the robbers shall enter into it, and defile it.
Eze 7:23 Make a chain: for the land is full of bloody crimes, and the city is full of violence.
Eze 7:24 Wherefore I will bring the worst of the heathen, and they shall possess their houses: I will also make the pomp of the strong to cease; and their holy places shall be defiled.
Eze 7:25 Destruction cometh; and they shall seek peace, and there shall be none.

Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Mic 3:9 Hear this, I pray you, ye heads of the house of Jacob, and princes of the house of Israel, that abhor judgment, and pervert all equity.
Mic 3:10 They build up Zion with blood, and Jerusalem with iniquity.
Mic 3:11 The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us.
Mic 3:12 Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest.

Luk 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
Luk 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
Luk 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another;

because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zechariah son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to show him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Act 6:8-9 And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people… of the synagogue… disputing with Stephen.
Act 6:14 … heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us.

Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Isa 5:4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?
Isa 5:5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down

2Ch 7:20 Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among all nations.
2Ch 7:21 And this house, which is high, shall be an astonishment to every one that passeth by it; so that he shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and unto this house?
2Ch 7:22 And it shall be answered, Because they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, and laid hold on other gods, and worshiped them, and served them: therefore hath he brought all this evil upon them.

Zec 11:2 Howl, fir tree; for the cedar is fallen; because the mighty are spoiled: howl, O ye oaks of Bashan; for the forest of the vintage is come down.
Zec 11:3 There is a voice of the howling of the shepherds; for their glory is spoiled: a voice of the roaring of young lions; for the pride of Jordan is spoiled.
Zec 11:4 Thus saith the LORD my God; Feed the flock of the slaughter;
Zec 11:5 Whose possessors slay them, and hold themselves not guilty: and they that sell them say, Blessed be the LORD; for I am rich: and their own shepherds pity them not.
Zec 11:11 And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD.

Rom 9:27 Isaiah also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved

Hos 3:3 And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for another man: so will I also be for thee.
Hos 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:
Hos 3:5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Rom 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
Rom 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

Rom 9:29 And as Isaiah said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodom, and been made like unto Gomorrah.

None of the many calamities which had happened to the city are to be compared with this terrible siege. In none had the city been so magnificent, its fortifications so powerful, its population so crowded. It was Passover time, but, in addition to the crowds assembled for this event, vast numbers had hurried there, flying from the advancing Roman army. The loss of life was enormous; refugees to Titus gave 600,000 as the number dead - BJ, V, xiii, 7

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Rom 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counselor?
Rom 11:35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory forever. Amen.

Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
Mat 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Hos 3:5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

Rom 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

I don't understand what you mean. The destruction is foretold in the OT as well as the NT.
AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some perception here.

I take it that the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus was not important.

That must be why it does not fit with the Dispensationalists’ theories.

Then-

So far we have hit a wall, an early date for the writing of the New Testament cannot be establish through this method.

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

The word disensation *oikonomia*is a Biblical word, and we have the word 'stewardship' which gives us the word dispensation. Dispensation simply means an administration.

If we can realize that what Noah preached, namely the flood and Salvation in the Ark, is past, that the time is past for preaching what Noah preached, then we can readily see that the administration *oikonomia* of God where Noah needed to preach the Lord's message is over. That dispensation *oikonomia* is over. We don't preach come into the Ark anymore.

It is vital to acknowledge this difference:

Act 26:22 ...I continue unto this day...saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come

Act 28:20 For this cause...I called for you...because that FOR THE HOPE OF ISRAAEL I AM BOND WITH THIS CHAIN.

Act 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, THERE CAME MANY to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

Eph 3:1 FOR THIS CAUSE I Paul, THE PRISONER of Jesus Christ FOR YOU Gentiles

PAUL NO LONGER QUOTES OR TEACHES things which the prophets and Moses did say, because Paul is given a new revelation, speaking of a new hope, a new calling, a new shere of blessing. This is unsearchable, it was never revealed what God's plan was in the OT, it was a secret till Paul says, 'but now, is made known'

When Israel was being offered her kingdom during the Acts, it was under the dispensation of promise. They could read the OT rolls, and see what is the hope of their promise.

At the end of Acts, the Salvation was sent to the nations. What the apostle is given by the HS to send to all nations brings what the HS calls in Eph3, the dispensation of the grace of God for you nations.

The hope for us individuals in all nations is not revealed in the OT, it is not part of the dispensation of promise. The church hope is not earthy, it is heavenly. What is revealed to the apostle? That God has an heavenly kingdom which will, like the earthly, have a chosen people for an inheritance in the heavenly sphere of blessings far above all where Christ sits, Eph1.3, 2.6.

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him

This heavenly sphere of blessing, promised to those chosen in Him from before the foundation of the world, was not made known until the children of promise had rejected her king and His kingdom.

A new dispensation *oikonomia* is introduced. The apostle tells us why he becomes a sent one for the hope of all nations, saying it had been a secret, or mystery, same word, not mysterious, esp not once God tells us what the secret is:

Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery;

C. Welch notes in The Berian Expositor of the word Oikonomia:

Luke 16:2. Give an account of thy stewardship.
Luke 16:3. Taketh away from me the stewardship.
Luke 16:4. When I am put out of the stewardship.
1 Cor. 9:17. A dispensation (of the gospel).
Eph. 1:10. That in the dispensation of the fulness.
Eph. 3:2. The dispensation of the grace of God.
Eph. 3:9. The dispensation of the mystery (R.V.).
Col. 1:25. According to the dispensation of God.
1 Tim. 1:4. A dispensation of God which is in faith (R.V.).
Oikonomos
Luke 12:42. That faithful and wise steward.
Luke 16:1. Rich man, which had a steward.
Luke 16:3. The steward said within himself.
Luke 16:8. Commended the unjust steward.
Rom. 16:23. Erastus the chamberlain of the city.
1 Cor. 4:1. Stewards of the mysteries of God.
1 Cor. 4:2. It is required in stewards ... found faithful.
Gal. 4:2 Is under tutors and governors.
Tit. 1:7. Blameless, as the steward of God.
1 Pet. 4:10. Good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

OUTSTANDING DISPENSATIONS:

(1) Innocence. Adam unfallen. Paradise enjoyed.
(2) Adam to Noah. The Fall to the Flood.
(3) Noah to Babel. - Some features of Genesis 9 remain unchanged.
(4) Babel to Abraham. The Nations and the Nation.
(5) Abraham to Egypt. The Exodus marks a critical change.
(6) Exodus to Sinai. The covenant 430 years after the promise.
(7) Sinai to Jericho. The forty years wandering.
(8) Jericho to Saul. The land entered.
(9) David to Christ. Here there are subdivisions which we have not noted.
(10) The Earthly Ministry of Christ, His Birth, Life, Death, Resurrection, Ascension.
(11) Pentecost to Peter in Prison, Acts 2 to 11.
(12) Paul’s First Ministry. The Gentile a wild olive contrary to nature.
(13) Paul’s Prison Ministry. The dispensation of the grace of God and the dispensation of the Mystery.
(14) The Resumption of Pentecost. The seven churches of Revelation 2,3.
(15) The Day of the Lord. The Apocalypse.
(16) The Millennial Kingdom and Revelation 20.
(17) The Period between the end of the Millennium and the Great White Throne.
(18) The End. The goal reached. God all in all.
(19) The past finding out of the unrevealed Eternity, 1Co 2:9, Isa 64:4

'Dispensation' has in view the object of housekeeping and order.

It seems to me, the office of Dispensational Truth is to decide whether any particular doctrine be it command, promise, calling or prophecy - does or does not pertain to any particular individual or company, and the recognition of these varying dispensations is therefore essential if we would walk worthy of our calling, and preach the truth for the present time.

From the Greek, the root and it's progression:

* oikos, a house, a dwelling, with special reference to the inmates, the house.
* oikia, a home, a dwelling, as distinct from the inmates and from all property left at a person' s death.
* Oikiakos, "household", two occurrences (Matt. 10:25,36).

* Oiketes, four occurrences. A domestic servant. Translated "household servant" once (Acts 10:7) and "servant" three times (Luke 16:13, Rom. 14:4, 1 Pet. 2:18), never used without reference in the context to a master.

* Oikeo, to dwell, to inhabit. The word occurs nine times, and is translated "dweIl" throughout (Rom. 7:17,18,20, 8:9,11, 1 Cor. 3:16, 7:12,13, 1 Tim. 6:16).

* Oikeios, three occurrences, once "one's own house" (1 Tim. 5:8), and twice "household" (Gal. 6:10; Eph. 2:19).

* Oikema, one reference "prison" (Acts 12:7).

* Oiketerion, two occurrences, "habitation" (Jude 6); "house" (2 Cor. 5:2). The fact that this word is used of the resurrection body, and of the abode of the angels which fell, and which habitation they left raises questions of extreme importance, which should be pondered.
* Oikodespoteo, "guide the house" (1 Tim. 5:14).

* Oikodespotes, twelve occurrences, translated "goodman" once (Luke 22:11), "good man of the house" four times (Matt. 20:11, 24:43, Mark 14:14, Luke 12:39), "householder" four times (Matt. 13:27,52,20:1,21 :33), "master of the house" three times (Matt. 10:25, Luke 13:25, 14:21). It will be observed that the "despotic" idea attaching to the word "despot" is not incipient but is a sad comment on human nature which cannot long be entrusted with absolute control. The Lord is and will be the only true Despot (2 Tim. 2:21).

* Oikodome, "building", occurs seventeen times, translated "building" six times, "edification" four times, "edifying" six times, "edify" once. Literal "buildings" are in the gospels, "edification" and "edifying" in the epistles, and once "ye are God's building" in 1 Corinthians 3:9.

* Oikodomeo, "to build", occurs thirty-nine times, translated "build" twenty-four times, "build up" once, "edify" seven times, "embolden" once, "builder" five times, "be in building" once.

* Oikodomia occurs once, translated "edifying".

* Oikonomeo occurs once, translated "be steward".

* Oikonomia occurs seven times, translated "dispensation" four times, "stewardship" three times.

* Oikonomos occurs ten times, translated "chamberlain" once, "governor" once, "steward" eight times.

* Oikoumene occurs fifteen times, translated "earth" once, "world" fourteen times.

* Oikouros occurs once, translated "keeper at home".

* Anoikodomeo occurs twice, translated "build again".

* Enoikeo occurs five times, translated "dwell".

* Egkatoikeo occurs once, translated "dwell among".

* Epoikodomeo occurs eight times, translated "build thereon" once, "build thereupon" twice, "build up" once, "build up on" once, "build upon" twice.

* Katoikeo occurs forty-eight times, translated "dwell" thirty-five times, "dwell at" four times, "dwell in" four times, "dweller at", "dweller in", "inhabitant", "inhabiter", "inhabiter of", once each.

* Katoikesis occurs once, translated "dwelling".

* Katoiketerion occurs twice, translated "habitation".

* Katoikia occurs once, translated "habitation".

* Metoikesia occurs four times, translated "carry away" three times, "brought" once.

* Metoikizo occurs twice, translated "remove" once, "carry away" once.

* Perioikeo occurs once, translated "dwell round about". Perioikos occurs once, translated "neighbour".

* Paroikeo occurs twice, translated "be a stranger" once, "sojourn" once.

* Paroikia occurs twice, translated "sojourning here" once, "dwell as strangers" once.

* Paroikos occurs three times, translated "foreigner" once, "stranger" twice.

* Sunoikeo occurs once, translated "dwell with".

* Sunoikodomeo occurs once, translated "build together".

The relation of the word "dispensation" to the conception of a house and its management is made evident, while the collection of words found in Ephesians 2: 19-22 is of itself a witness to the value of this recognition.

The fact that the House of God at Jerusalem was not destroyed before A.D. 70 has no bearing upon Acts twenty-eight, as it had already been pronounced "desolate" in Matthew 23:38,39.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 2 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bibarch.com/Perspectives/6.3C.htm

Daniel 9: The Seventy Weeks Prophecy
Hypothesis 2—The 70 Weeks Prophecy was fulfilled in the Maccabeans ... The Maccabeans
restored the sanctity of the holy of holies.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB,

That is good WildB. The book of Acts stops before giving the record of Paul’s death; more likely than not Dr. Luke did not have that information.

Have you ever heard of the Maccabeans?

They fought vigorously to establish and maintain Israel as a viable nation state. The idea of the nation of Israel has been extremely important to many throughout history.

So why do you think that the destruction of Israel as a nation state by Titus would not be mentioned anywhere in the New Testament?

This was a major life changing event. Even Paul’s ministry revolved around Jerusalem proper.

Either the destruction was not important to the New Testament writers or it had not happened as of their writtings.

My estimation is that knowing about the destruction and ignoring it means that it is not important.

Is this something that you and I can agree on?

AMH

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 16 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AMH:
WildB,

Here is a simple test for the New Testament that you may find interesting-

Without referencing any “original” texts or any other outside sources give reasons to support an early, (pre 70 A.D.) origination of the New Testament.

(In other words, there is a theory that much if not all of the New Testament was written later than 70 A.D. How can we know whether or not this is true by using just the New Testament?)

AMH

The Time line of Saul/Paul.

~

http://www.thinkbible.net/more/tm14.html

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Brother Born Again,

Did Ancient Israel come fully into possession of the lands promised to them by the Lord?

AMH

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brother AMH writes
quote:
In order to qualify as Messiah Jesus had to fulfill the Old Testament, (the law and the prophets).
Actually, there are a number of things in the Old Testament
which have not come to pass yet, even though Yahshua-Jesus has come, and gone.

Yahshua-Jesus taught the men on the road to Emmaus about Himself beginning at ??, until their hearts burned in their chests about what He had told them. This Jesus did fulfill.

He also fulled the law in the sense that He lived the law, He was the Law Come Alive, so to speak, by His grace and His truth and His majesty.

And there were no more prophets after John which led up to Yahshua-Jesus. Now the buck stops at Yahshua-Jesus, He fulfilled the law and the prophets.

Matthew 11:13
For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

But there are still prophecies in the Old Testament that have not been fulfilled yet.

For example, Jesus touching down on the mount of Olives and the mount of Olives splits into two halves and a great valley is created inbetween the two halves. that has not happened yet.

Also the house of Israel and the house of Judah are still hidden among the nations {ethnoi} and they have not stood up out of their graves yet and gone to the land of Israel. Israel and Judah are still hidden among the nations (ethnoi).

And there's probably more, like maybe Jesus coming on the Feast of Atonement one year, and so on, AMH. So Yahshua-Jesus completed parts of the Old Testament, but not all parts of the Old Testament are completed.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

WildB,

Here is a simple test for the New Testament that you may find interesting-

Without referencing any “original” texts or any other outside sources give reasons to support an early, (pre 70 A.D.) origination of the New Testament.

(In other words, there is a theory that much if not all of the New Testament was written later than 70 A.D. How can we know whether or not this is true by using just the New Testament?)

AMH

AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

WildB,

Part of the reason why Jesus first came was to be tested. But He was not the only one tested. The prophets were tested as with the rest of the Old Testament saints.

The Old Testament itself has been tested time and again until it has reached a high level of purity. (Give it 99.9%) This type of testing, (God’s method) takes time. The time that it takes we can only surmise by the end product.

Balaam for instance looked good when giving such a prophecy as-

“there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel”

But the testing left Balaam bankrupt.

Yet Michael the arch did not fall with the rest even when railings were brought against him.

Shall the New Testament also be tested? And if so then what of the modern saints?

AMH

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
WildB,

When you site “dispensations” I am taking it as “point of view”. Not every student of the Word adheres to the Dispensational view of Bible history and prophecy, (but it has a large following and I know several highly educated people who do believe in it).

I was taking the position that the New Testament does not stand alone. It rests on the foundation laid by Moses and the Prophets, (the subject of your thread).

May I show you what I mean?

AMH

By all means.

--------------------
That is all.....

AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

WildB,

When you site “dispensations” I am taking it as “point of view”. Not every student of the Word adheres to the Dispensational view of Bible history and prophecy, (but it has a large following and I know several highly educated people who do believe in it).

I was taking the position that the New Testament does not stand alone. It rests on the foundation laid by Moses and the Prophets, (the subject of your thread).

May I show you what I mean?

AMH

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 16 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In order to qualify as Messiah Jesus had to fulfill the Old Testament, (the law and the prophets).

If Jesus would have deviated from the Old Testament in any way then He would have been disqualified from being Messiah.

WildB-

Is the New Testament bound by the same rule?

AMH

Same rule but different DISPENSATION .

One of the first lessons the Bible student should learn is the difference between the principles and the dispensations of God.

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html#intr

--------------------
That is all.....

AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

If Jesus would have deviated from the Old Testament in any way then He would have been disqualified from being Messiah.

WildB-

Is the New Testament bound by the same rule?

AMH

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

~

November 15, 2005

MOSES AND THE PROPHETS
by Cornelius R. Stam

Now our Lord, when on earth, encouraged, indeed He even challenged His audiences to “Search the Scriptures” for themselves (John 5:39). Indeed since God revealed Himself and His plan of salvation in the written Word, we are responsible, each one for himself to study the Scriptures. When the rich man Dives begged Abraham to be allowed to go and warn his five brothers about the horrors of hell, Abraham replied, “They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them”. And when the rich man urged that a word from him would be more effective, Abraham answered, “If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead” (Luke 16:29,31).

Don’t depend upon your clergyman, my dear friend, to interpret the Scriptures for you. See for yourself what God says in His Word. For “every one of us shall give an account of himself to God”, says Romans 14:12. And it won’t be enough in that day to say, my minister or my priest told me so and so. You are responsible, you, to search the Scriptures for yourself, to see whether these things are so.

Why don’t you search the Scriptures, especially the epistles of Paul, our apostle. For it is Paul who says, “For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the Apostle of the Gentiles [Nations], I magnify mine office” (Rom.11:13). Learn in his epistles this mystery among the Gentiles which is Christ in you the hope of glory and how it is that Christ’s death on Calvary’s cross can save you.

“In Whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace” (Eph.1:7).

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement