Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Cremation

Author Topic: Cremation
Beowulf210
Member # 14336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beowulf210   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is interesting.

Life is in the blood.

Jesus is alive again. Forever.

Surely Jesus must have had blood flowing through His veins again when He appeared to Thomas, and not just flesh & bones -- even though blood & water flowed out from Him on the cross.

God can multiply anything -- fish, bread, or blood cells -- and turn water into wine in an instant.

I wonder sometimes. Amazing is our God.

--------------------
Paul

Posts: 6 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf210:
If new or perfect bodies will be fashioned for us, then why did Jesus still have (1) the nail prints in His hands or wrists and (2) the spear wound in His side even after His physical resurrection from the dead?

Just a question. 😊

As a eternal testimony. He said behold and showed his flesh and bone. Flesh and bone? Wheres the Blood?

Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

I believe the blood of Christ is some how preserved in the 3rd Heaven for His use.

Hebrews 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

[rapture]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beowulf210
Member # 14336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beowulf210   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If new or perfect bodies will be fashioned for us, then why did Jesus still have (1) the nail prints in His hands or wrists and (2) the spear wound in His side even after His physical resurrection from the dead?

Just a question. 😊

--------------------
Paul

Posts: 6 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum? Wonder what happens to a body buried at sea?
Does not the salt and hot vented water of the deeps burn most of it up after the criders have had their fill? Not to worry God is able to retrieve the seed.

Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it;

In the present Dispensation of Grace administered by Paul to us Gentiles. We are not under the Law, but Grace..

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Many have not the $er and if they were to dig a hole in the park to bury their dead they will go to jail.

1 Corinthians 15
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion I think one should bury their dead. We see in the bible that Christians buried their dead and pagans burned their dead. But I don’t think it is commanded to bury and not burn.

Scripture says nothing about a required mode of burial for either or non-believers. However, burying the body was the standard practice among the Israelites in the Old Testament and Christians in the New. There were some exceptions: the people decided to cremate Saul and Jonathan and then bury their ashes because their bodies had been mutilated by the Philistines (1 Sam. 31:8-13). In another instance, Achan and his family were cremated after being executed for sinning against Israel (Josh. 7:25).

Obviously any buried body will eventually decompose (Eccles. 12:7). So cremation isn't a strange or wrong practice-it merely accelerates the natural process of oxidation. The believer will one day receive a new body (1 Cor. 15:42-49; 1 Thess. 4:13-18; Job 19:25-26), thus the state of what remains of the old body is unimportant.

The imagery of Christ's resurrection pictures burial and then a raising up from the dead (Rom. 6:3-5; 1 Cor. 15:3-4). Because of that, many Christians prefer burial to cremation to maintain a likeness to Christ's burial (although literally He was laid in state in a cave, not buried in the ground).

What we need to focus on as Christians is not how to dispose of our earthly bodies, but that one day new bodies will be fashioned for us like our Lord's glorious resurrection body (see Phil. 3:21; cf. Luke 24:30-40; John 20:19, 26; 21:1-14; and Acts 1:1-9 to get an idea of what to look forward to). That transformation will be eternal!

Does the Bible Prohibit Cremation?
https://www.gty.org/resources/questions/QA177/Does-the-Bible-Prohibit-Cremation

Scripture teaches us that love of God and love of others (even deceased others) is a mark of Christlike character (cf. John 11:1-44). So which method of interment best demonstrates love of God and of neighbor? Assuming a holistic view of human beings, the body of the decedent itself should be respected and shown neighbor-love by those choosing the interment procedure—including the person making plans for interring his or her own body. Among doctrines that shape and inform such neighbor-love toward a corpse—including one's own—are the dignity of the human body and the future bodily resurrection.

The dignity of the human body is supported by such biblical teachings as God's “very good” (Gen. 1:31) creation, humanity made in the image of God (Gen. 1:26-27), the incarnation of Christ (Heb. 2:14), and the redemption of the human body (Rom. 8:23). Likewise, the future bodily resurrection is taught in passages such as 1 Corinthians 15:35-49 and Philippians 3:20-21. Note, too, that in Scripture buried corpses are referred to as persons—often by name—not as things or former persons (cf. Mark 15:45-46; John 11:43). Moreover, the most prevalent word used in the New Testament to describe the death of a believer is “sleep,” a term employed by both Jesus (cf. Matt. 9:24; Mark 5:39; Luke 8:52; John 11:11) and Paul (1 Cor. 11:30; 15:6, 18, 20, 51; 2 Cor. 5:6-8; 1 Thess. 4:13-16).

To Bury or to Burn? Cremation in Christian Perspective
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/to-bury-or-to-burn-cremation-in-christian-perspective

Should Christians Cremate Their Loved Ones?
http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/should-christians-cremate-their-loved-ones

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beowulf210
Member # 14336

Remember:

It was the Canaanites who cremated their own.

"And you shall not let any of your descendants pass through the fire to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your God: I am the LORD. .... Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you. For the land is defiled; therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it, and the land vomits out its inhabitants." (Lev. 18:21, 24, 25, NKJV)

--------------------
Paul

Beowulf210
Member # 14336

quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
Then you have never seen a saint burn up in 911.

Who is to say there were any saints who were burned to ashes in the twin towers? Is that not assuming? Bodies were still found in the rubble even after the collapse, and still buried.

quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
In the Lords hand is a stone with a name.

And your point is?

So far, no proof from the Old Testament or New Testament has been shown where a saint was cremated by God's command. Try again. [Smile]

--------------------
Paul

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf210:
John the Baptist was beheaded (Matthew 14:10), but they did not cremate him, they buried him (v. 12).

If we believe that Christ Jesus physically rose from the dead (which He did; see Luke 24:39), never to die again (Romans 6:9; Hebrews 9:28; Revelation 1:18), and if we believe that Christians will physically rise from the dead (which they will; see John 5:28-29, 1 Corinthians 15:52-54, and Revelation 20:4-6), I see no reason to practice cremation.

I know of no saint in the Old Testament or New Testament who was cremated by God's command. Do you?

Then you have never seen a saint burn up in 911.
In the Lords hand is a stone with a name.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

--------------------
That is all.....

Beowulf210
Member # 14336

John the Baptist was beheaded (Matthew 14:10), but they did not cremate him, they buried him (v. 12).

If we believe that Christ Jesus physically rose from the dead (which He did; see Luke 24:39), never to die again (Romans 6:9; Hebrews 9:28; Revelation 1:18), and if we believe that Christians will physically rise from the dead (which they will; see John 5:28-29, 1 Corinthians 15:52-54, and Revelation 20:4-6), I see no reason to practice cremation.

I know of no saint in the Old Testament or New Testament who was cremated by God's command. Do you?

--------------------
Paul

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grams:
And we will meet you all one day !!!!!!! [clap2] [hyper] [clap2] Marlene

You bet - You're precious Grams. [Big Grin] How about this one!! [rapture]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grams
Advanced Member
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I had every one looking through the
bible to see if it was all right ...
No one found any thing wrong.
So we are set... We want nothing.
All paid for the children do not have to worry.
Our bible teacher will just have a little some thing on a Sunday after, and we will pay for a lunch, for our members.. thats it..
Were ready and able when the Lord wants us....
And we will meet you all one day !!!!!!! [clap2] [hyper] [clap2] Marlene

--------------------
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
[ WARNING: EXPOSURE TO THE SON MAY PREVENT BURNING. ]

Posts: 57 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forever His
Advanced Member
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forever His     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Persecutions, beginning under Nero about the time of the martyrdom of Paul, continued with greater or less fury for centuries. Christians were falsely accused of the most dreadful crimes and declared to be the cause of great calamities--famine, pestilence, and earthquake. As they became the objects of popular hatred and suspicion, informers stood ready, for the sake of gain, to betray the innocent. They were condemned as rebels against the empire, as foes of religion, and pests to society. Great numbers were thrown to wild beasts or burned alive in the amphitheaters. Some were crucified; others were covered with the skins of wild animals and thrust into the arena to be torn by dogs. Their punishment was often made the chief entertainment at public fetes. Vast multitudes assembled to enjoy the sight and greeted their dying agonies with laughter and applause.

hmmmm..... can you imagine.... God putting the pieces all back together after one of His saints has been eaten by a dog [cool_shades] [Big Grin]

And do you remember names like Jerome and Huss.... and multitudes of others who were burned at the stake because they would not renounce their faith in God.... I think that God is well able to put the pieces back together again......

God Bless
Forever His

Posts: 719 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to do what you have to do. We are on a fixed income and when hubby's brother passed away, we had to go the cremation route ourselves. Because of health reasons we cannot get life insurance so we have set aside enough for our family to have us creamated.
God made man from dust, He can rise me again from ashes.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seashells
Community Member
Member # 5246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seashells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
embalming was also considered a heathen ritual but Joseph had Jacob embalmed to please the culture/rituals of Pharoah and his people. I guess I don't want to be cremated, but I don't see a problem if others do. Some say that you won't go to heaven if you are cremated, but I come back with, what about the people of 9/11? Do you think they all went to hell after being burned up after the planes crashed? I think not. God is bigger than our small circumstances and putting Him in a box is silly.
Posts: 9 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although we should show respect in what burial choice we make, our bodies are only temporal pieces of flesh and are part of this very imperfect world.

Symbolically, man started out as dust and eventually we go back to dust again when we die, no matter how we are buried.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While cremation was practised by heathen, there were many heathen who also practised burial.

It seems a waste to spend all that money on a funeral and casket for a burial when the person is already dead. It tends to be more for us than for the dead person. My mother was cremated for $680 3 years ago. She was always a thrifty and practical person.

While I have never been that excited about being cremated (as in, "let's see the LORD put THIS back together"), yet I think He is able and can even put ashes back together. So I may save the money myself.

Thanks for the Topic, WildB.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

WildB
Member # 2917

-

~
Cremation
by Paul M. Sadler, President

Scripture Reading: "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away." -- Psalm 90:10

With the rising cost of funerals these days many families are faced with the decision as to whether or not cremation should be considered as a viable option to burial. Many have concluded that this is an acceptable alternative since the matter is not addressed in Paul's epistles, and we are living under grace. While there does seem to be liberty here, perhaps it is the better part of wisdom to consult the whole counsel of God.

In Biblical times cremation of the body was primarily identified with the pagan nations of the world. According to the Old Testament there were a few isolated occurrences of this practice, although they always seem to be associated with judgment or cases of emergency rather than merely disposing of the body (Josh. 7:25,26; I Sam. 31:6-13).

Consequently, cremation was more the exception than the rule.

Throughout the Scriptures it is said that they buried their dead.

"Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah..."

"Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury."

"And the young men arose, wound him [Ananias] up, and carried him out, and buried him."

In keeping with the Word of God, we believe it is preferable to bury our loved ones even though we may have liberty to do otherwise. Of course, the additional financial burden can be eased by planning ahead for our inevitable departure. The services that normally accompany a funeral bring the unsaved face to face with their own mortality.

Thus, the occasion, heartbreaking as it may be, has often been used of the Lord to bring many sons to glory. Whatever your conviction may be on the matter, it is important to heed the words of the Apostle Paul:

"Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind" (Rom. 14:5).

http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement