Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Where are our hearts?

Author Topic: Where are our hearts?
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 15:8 This people draws near to Me with their mouth, and honors Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me.

This scripture came about because, first Ephraim-Israel, but then also Judah-Benjamin, decided that the LORD YHWH was not as interesting as Baal and Moloch and other assorted idols.

They both were "backsliding and treacherous sisters".

But because the temple of the LORD was in Judah-Benjamin, Judah-Benjamin had a bigger problem than Ephraim-Israel, in that Judah-Benjamin was constantly confronted with the daily reminder of the physical, localized presence of the temple of the LORD at Jerusalem.

Hence, it was more difficult for Judah-Benjamin to flat out replace the LORD with Baal and Moloch, et al., and so Judah-Benjamin ended up, even more so than Ephraim-Israel, as having to still "honor the LORD with their lips", but their hearts were by then already far from Him.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing.

After reading over Matthew 15:8, I see that over time the world can get in the middle of our relationship with the Lord if we aren't careful. We must guard our hearts to make sure that the things of the world do not get in between our hearts and the Lord. I can't speak for everyone but I need to check myself every day. Lord I pray that my heart matches my words, and please help me to be strong in your Name, Amen!

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure of the relevance, but the term "fear of the Lord" seems to have much significance with the scripture you posted.

Matthew 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

It is almost like "fear" is considered by the unrighteous to be negative carnal fear that is addressed with lip service and hypocrisy.

However, I believe the "fear of God" is more related to agape "love". A positive force that motivates you into a loving obedience. I don’t have anything to back that up it is just a feeling I have. It might be something like a fear of disappointing someone you love? Or a fear of hurting someones feelings?

I just thought I would throw that in there.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to look at this scripture as a group of brothers and sisters in Christ.

Matthew 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

What does this scripture say to you?

Here's what Albert Barns said about this scripture. "That is, they are regular in the forms of worship; they are strict in ceremonial observances, and keep the law outwardly; but God requires the heart, and that they have not rendered".

What does it take for us to give God our hearts?

I just want to ask the brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus to pray about this and seek the Lord for a revelation on the question, and then lets share what the Lord says about it.

The word says we are to examine ourselves, so lets do it and see what we find. We can only glorify the Lord by doing this because if we find our hearts in order we can praise the Lord, and if we find that our hearts need cleansing then we can repent and give Him thanks for loving us enough to show us.

After reading the scripture and praying about it please share what the Lord reveals to you if you feel comfortable doing so.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement