Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » 2 Questions about Marriage....

Author Topic: 2 Questions about Marriage....
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent. i love it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetshoes
Advanced Member
Member # 48

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wetshoes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J 4

I think that most often the subject of marriage carries a hidden agenda. Most are looking for someone to “complete” them but does anyone consider the obverse side of that thought – that there is someone they themselves are completing?

In other words, most are looking for someone to meet their needs.

Many things in scripture are figurative and metaphoric, but in the case of a Christian marriage – that human marriage is itself a metaphor of a scriptural reality.

We are the “Bride of Christ” not “like” a bride – we are the actual bride! All human marriage will pass away but the Bride relationship of the Church will continue.

God walked with Adam before sin entered the world – yet God said Himself …

Gen 2:18 And the Lord God said, It is not good for the man to be by himself: I will make one like himself as a help to him .

In other words, our Lord is NOT jealous of marriage – He initiated it! Why? …

Eph 5:25 Husbands, have love for your wives, even as Christ had love for the church, and gave himself for it;

… Because by becoming familiar with the unselfish, self sacrificing love of being a husband, we can come to acquire a little understanding of our Lord’s love and unselfishness for the Bride.

Does God make a mate for us? Are two individuals set apart for each other from birth – or before?

I think that would be hard to answer and back it up with absolutes of scripture. I will say though! – that I believe our Lord has a preference for each of us … how we come to finding that, would be a matter of faith for each of us as well!

Love john

--------------------
WoodStoneSteel@hotmail.com

Posts: 279 | From: San Diego County California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
dear brother J4Jesus, I did not want to remain silent at a time like this when it seems that you are in love.

I want to thank you so much for the wonderfully simple yet vastly deep questions that you continue to post so...calmly.

I really appreciate you. May the LORD God of Israel, Who Alone is the Creator of heaven and earth, bless whatever is going on with you right now.

Your friend in Christ, I am BORN AGAIN by the shed blood and suffering of Yahshua-Jesus on the [Cross] How the Father must have hurt!

The Same to you Born Again. I know He will Bless you as He has before.

and everyone else.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear brother J4Jesus, I did not want to remain silent at a time like this when it seems that you are in love.

I want to thank you so much for the wonderfully simple yet vastly deep questions that you continue to post so...calmly.

I really appreciate you. May the LORD God of Israel, Who Alone is the Creator of heaven and earth, bless whatever is going on with you right now.

Your friend in Christ, I am BORN AGAIN by the shed blood and suffering of Yahshua-Jesus on the [Cross] How the Father must have hurt!

Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J4Jesus:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chaplain Bob:
[QB] 1. No Believer should marry unless they are absolutely GOD has told them to marry and who it is they are to marry."

hi. I hope this is true. Does God answer those type of questions?

He did for me. And I'm sure He will do it for anyone who seeks His guidance and LISTENS for His answer.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

hey everybody.

So does God do that? He'll guide you into who you SHOULD marry? Or what?

Awesome.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bob:
1. No Believer should marry unless they are absolutely GOD has told them to marry and who it is they are to marry.

2. It's two different kinds of love. One (our relationship with God) is a child parent love. The other is a romantic then Biblical, committed love.

You miss one Chap~sexual.

Fire=Faith+Hope+Love

To most it is the sexual first.

Biblically Jacob worked 7 years + 7 FOR HIS LOVE.

AND his last child was born out of Rachaels death.

The Tribe of Ben.Who Paul was seed.

Oh if we could get that Faith, Hope, ~first

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chaplain Bob:
[QB] 1. No Believer should marry unless they are absolutely GOD has told them to marry and who it is they are to marry."

hi. I hope this is true. Does God answer those type of questions?

timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW I definitely think God chooses our spouses. I met my wife before I got saved and in very abnormal circumstances. She was also unsaved and we have since become followers of Christ. She is the perfect companion to me in every way. I don't mean that our life is a 'bed of roses', quite the contrary. However, we are so different that the only common ground is where Christ wants us to be. Therefore in order to find matrimonial harmony we have to continually search for Christ.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you might find this interesting: I got it from a site that describes the Biblical contexts of different kinds of Love. I think today we kind of lump it all together under the L word.

The New Testament was written in Koine Greek. The word Koine denotes “common,” because this style of Greek was the language of the common man-on-the-street during the time of Christ.

Koine Greek came into vogue about 300 years before the birth of Jesus, and it became an obsolete language about three centuries after the Lord’s death. It was the most precise instrument for the conveyance of human thought that the world has ever known. Without doubt, this language was providentially employed by God in giving the world the New Testament revelation of His Son.

Koine Greek had several words representing different aspects of love. Eros generally had to do with sexual love. From this term derives the English “erotic.” This word, however, is never found in the New Testament.

Then there was the noun storge. This term was primarily employed of family affection. Paul used a negative form of it in describing the base traits of certain pagans of his day. He spoke of those who were “without natural affection” (astorgous – Rom. 1:31).

A very common word for love during the apostolic age was philia. It is the word of genuine affection – heart love. It is seen in the name, Philadelphia (brotherly love). Jesus had this kind of love for his closest disciple, John (John 20:2), and for Lazarus (John 11:3).

The noblest form of love, however, was agape. William Barclay, in his superb discussion of this word, noted that “Agape has to do with the mind: it is not simply an emotion which rises unbidden in our hearts; it is a principle by which we deliberately live” (New Testament Words, p. 21).

It is the kind of love that we must have for all men – even our enemies (Matt. 5:44). The Christian must always act out of love, i.e., in the best interest of his fellow human beings.

Unquestionably, the most exhaustive treatment of what this kind of love involves is found in First Corinthians, chapter 13. Within this context, the inspired apostle gives more than a dozen descriptives which regulate the operation of agape love. And what a challenge they are. To study them carefully is to come to the rude awakening of how far we fall short of measuring up to the divine ideal of concern for others.

The site URL is:
http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/agape.htm

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by J4Jesus:
2. The other question is, you got 2 people to love now, God and your spouse...how does that work? Thanks.

God always has to be put first. If he sees that you have put him first, he will bless you by leaving plenty of room for love towards the other person.
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. No Believer should marry unless they are absolutely GOD has told them to marry and who it is they are to marry.

2. It's two different kinds of love. One (our relationship with God) is a child parent love. The other is a romantic then Biblical, committed love.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

1. Does God make 2 people for each other. Like a Match made in Heaven deal? I want to be able to say that, but i dunno.

2. The other question is, you got 2 people to love now, God and your spouse...how does that work?

Thanks.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement