Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » I'm getting Baptised next week...

Author Topic: I'm getting Baptised next week...
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But on the other hand, brother J4Jesus, once you have been baptised you know at least that you have been baptised and you can find out more later about what you have done.

It may be a little like salvation when we first decided for it, and later we found out a lot more about it. Who knows, the LORD might be bless you and renew you through it and you can understand it later.

If we had waited accepting salvation until we knew all about it, some of us would not have been saved. It may be similar with the rite of baptism--at least you can say, I have done that, Lord." [updown] [spiny]

Acts 8
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what hinders me from being baptized?

37 And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

J4Jesus, you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God? I think you do.

There is water, what prevents you from being baptised?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J4 I agree with the others. You can't be baptized if you are not ready. Baptism is something that should be taken seriously and not done because you feel pressured. My pastor in Vermont has people see him for a couple of meetings before baptizing anyone to discuss baptism and to make sure everyone completely understand why they are being baptized, he explains the meaning behind it and has people ask any questions they may have. This way, a person is fully understanding the choice they are making and not just blindly entering into it.

I think it is wonderful if you do choose to be baptized, but you really do need to be fully aware of why you are doing it and what it means.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats on your decision

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You re right, you need to do it bc you want to, not the church. If you re not being convicted by God to do it, then dont. If your heart is telling you to do, then do. Just be honest with whoever you re talking to. If they keep pressuring you, talk to the preacher or a deacon.

Brad

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I was saved back in July 2004, that period of time.

Yes i know Baptism should be something i want.

But then again, i shouldn't do it just because the Church says to either.

shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you havent been baptised since July 2004????? I m lost. Why are you doing it again? Remember, being baptised does NOT save you. You shouldnt feel pressured to do it, it should be something you want to do and mean it.

Brad

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

J4Jesus wrote
quote:
now i basically HAVE to do this, i can't get out of it.
I think you should feel free to be yourself...if you're not up to it yet, just tell them. It's okay to say "no".

Unless you understand the purpose of baptism, it's kind of pointless anyway. To be baptized is an acknowledgment to God and to the angels, both good and bad, that you understand that you are buried with Christ in His burial and that you are raised with Him in His resurrection.

What you are essentially doing by this ceremony is burying yourself and aligning yourself with God's position, that He has already put you in Christ, and as He was buried, so too are you now buried.

If you understand that, then go ahead and get yourself baptized.

Have you tried reading the paperback by Watchman Nee, The Normal Christian Life? I think it would help you tremendously. You can get it in just about any bookstore, and is very easy and simple to read, but exceedingly profound in what it explains.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

HisGrace
unregistered

If it would be helpful if you could receive some counselling in order to prepare you for baptism, J4J. Maybe you could request classes for those who are being baptized to make sure you are ready.
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man. This is a GOOD thing.

But, while during sunday school, my teacher asked those of us who were christian but haven't been baptised since then. When it came to me, i told him the truth. I haven't been baptised since July 2004.

I haven't even really been thinking about Baptism.

Here i am trying to not be luke warm and now i basically HAVE to do this, i can't get out of it.

He wrote my number down and he's gonna call, and my parents just aren't gonna understand.

Biblical Advice? Thanks.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement