Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Words, the tongue and power

Author Topic: Words, the tongue and power
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HFHS post
quote:
Thunder, gramatically speaking I dont think that it can refer to wisdom. In the structure of that sentence it has to be the tongue or the power therof.

I agree, in the structure of the sentence "it" is the power of the tongue.
Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
If I love and speak death, I will eat that fruit,
if I love and speak life, I will eat the fruit of it.

limited-from tavah-pain, wound,trouble, cause pain
The KJV and NKJV are the only translations I know of that use limited.
Every other translation I have looked into uses a word fitting of "tavah"
such as pained, troubled, provoked, vexed.

got on that one quick didn't you? [thumbsup2]

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thunder, gramatically speaking I dont think that it can refer to wisdom. In the structure of that sentence it has to be the tongue or the power therof.

That word limited is interesting. Did you know that this is the only place that the word "limited" or the underlying Hebrew word is used in all of the scripture?

The underlying word there is tavah a root word that means to pain, wound, trouble, cause pain.

My concept of God is not one that allows HIM to be "limited" as in restrained by man's decisons, actions etc, except in the sense that God cannot justify the unjust except through the blood or cease to be Just, Holy, Righteous,Love, or any of HIS other atributes.

I dont think that God requires man's cooperation to accomplish HIS will; I think that God choses it. I dont think that God is bound ever in any way by man spirit or beast. I believe that HE is completely soverign and omnipotent, doing what He wills when He wills with regard to whom and what He wills as it serves HIS purpose.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanting to comment on the below verse. First of all we always need to keep any bible verse in context and see how it lines up with the entire focus of the Bible. A lot of people want to use this verse to say they can have what ever the want, but if you read and study the bible, it is all about Jesus Christ and points to Him. It is not about us, so when we pray we should keep it about honoring Jesus and not ourselves. The more you get to know Jesus and love Him the more you will see that He provides things you just want, and you don't even have to ask. But if you are praying something our of selfish desires then don't expect it to happen.

Mk. 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

:::::::::::::::::::
But Jesus also used the miracle to teach His disciples some practical lessons about faith and prayer. Mountains represent great difficulties that must be removed (Zech. 4:7), and it is our faith in God that enables us to overcome. But faith in God is not enough; we must also have forgiveness toward others (vv. 25-26). We do not earn God’s forgiveness by forgiving others, but forgiving others shows that we have a humble heart before God.

comment by Warren Wiersbe

- - - - -

23 have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say to this mountain, Be thou removed . . . he shall have whatsoever he saith—Jesus was quoting a familiar expression of the Jewish religious teachers when he talked about throwing mountains into the sea by faith. Since there was hardly any reason why the disciples would ever want to dump a mountain into the sea, it is safe to assume that Jesus was using a figure of speech to equate the spiritual obstacles they would face with the most formidable physical obstacle a man can face. What he was saying is that nothing is too big for God to handle if our faith is big enough to believe that he can.

[Bible]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my personal feeling-

Mk. 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

I don't think this means that we can literally speak a mountain to be cast in the sea.

Why would we want to?

God spoke the mountains and the seas to be in exixtance. God can do this. We are not God.

This is (IMO) just symbolic. If it were literal, there probably would not be any more mountains on land. People would have cast them all into the sea just to prove their faith.

Posts: 102 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda,
I think this must be the thread you mentioned in the "Positive Confession" thread on the Exposing False Doctrine Board.

July, hurricane Dennis, that's been quite a few hurricanes ago now.

I was glad to see that in your last post we got around to the Book of James.
I like the thoughts on PV.23.

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

by HFHS
quote:
I have something to add to this a sort of question:

21 ¶ Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those loving it eat its fruit.

Loving what? "It" - the power of the tongue.

Are we to love the power of the tongue?

Pv.18 starts out about wisdom, I take the "it" to be wisdom.

Psalms 78-
35 And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.
36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant.
38 But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
39 For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again.
40 ¶ How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieve him in the desert!
41 Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel.

Israel provoked,grieved and tempted GOD with lies from their mouthes and tongues because their hearts were not right.
They limited GOD.

Any thoughts on limiting GOD?

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Thunder: I did not think that Walt was speaking of a generationaly curse; I would like to talk about that too. But can we talk about this scripture for a minute please:

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Some people say that this scripture means if I think I am a worthless peace of crud, I will live like a worhtless peace of crud. Now, I dont want to at this point debate wheter this is true or not; but I do not think that this is what this scrupture says.

I would like to take this scripture in some context and see if we cannot see something different; something that is in fact supported by another scripture: I will give my little exegesis here in bold between the scriptures:

Proverbs 23:1 ¶ When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.

n you sit before the table of the ruler of this world and think on the things on his table, you put a knife to your throat if you are man with an appetite, because if you think long enough, your appetite is going to lead your body to eat.

Proverbs 23:3 Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.

Dont think on these things because no matter how good they look, they lie; they are lying food meant to tempt your flesh

Proverbs 23:4 ¶ Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.

Dont strive to have what is on the ruler's table; it is an illusion, as soon as you think you have it it is gone

Proverbs 23:6 ¶ Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Dont eat his bread and dont desire his meat; he thinks evil in his heart because he is evil- he says to you eat and drink - enjoy my dainties, but his heart is NOT with you! His heart is against you. He is evil and he thinks in his heart to devour you

Proverbs 23:8 The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.

You will eat his meat and it will make you vomit - you will lose the sweet words of thanks that you gave him for sharing his buffet with you

Proverbs 23:9 ¶ Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.

Do not try to share this wisdom that you have gained with fools; they wil dispise your words- they too think that the meat looks good to eat and they are hungry

Proverbs 23:10 ¶ Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless:11 For their redeemer is mighty; he shall plead their cause with thee.

Leave the marker that leads to the ruler's land so you know when you come to it again. And do not go and try to speak to those that have no father that which you know; you are not their redeemer. You will not be heard they have a redeemer and he will plead their cause with you.

Proverbs 23:12 ¶ Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge.

Apply to your own heart instruction and to your own ears this wisdom that you were given

Proverbs 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

to the child - the child of God this is whom you shall give the lesson that you have learned from experience to

Proverbs 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

This lesson shall fall on him like a rod, but you will not kill him, you will deliver him from hell

Proverbs 23:15 My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine. Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.

See here whose child you are? You have a father; if your heart is wise and not foolish HIS heart will rejoice, his inner parts will rejoice when your lips speak the right things; out of the good treasure of your heart and not out of the evil treasure of the ruler of darkness

Proverbs 23:17 ¶ Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

Dont look with lust on the table of the ruler and think oh look what those in his kingdom have - fear the LORD

I dont know if you will see this, but I see this this way.... this verse speaks of the evil heart of the evil man the man of the flesh the ruler of darkness - he is the one thinking and he is the one that says to you eat and his heart is not with you - it is against you: Look closely at the he (s) and you (s)

Proverbs 23:6 ¶ Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

quote:
Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
>>>speaking what is in his heart, because that is what he thinks and what he is;
is he not speaking evil?<<<

He (Jesus)was speaking out of the fulness of his heart; his heart is full of love always - it is the love of Christ for those who followed the vipers into destruction that speaks and it is even the love of God for the Pharisee that is a child of the VIPER of all Vipers that speaks condemnation to them, because there is mercy in God's just judgement of evil that brings it to end with death and does not allow it to work forever.

Sometimes what seems to be evil to man is not. We say it is evil to call someone a viper; but it was not any more evil here than it was evil when Jesus said to Peter get behind me Satan!

Jesus was incapable of speaking evil and so we must misunderstand evil if we think that this is evil; Judgment that is just is not evil it is merciful and it is love. God is not a respector of persons and so his love is for all concerned simultaneously.

He showed love to those who followed the Pharisee by calling them what they were and he spoke love to the Pharisee by exposing to them what they were and he spoke love to those that followed the law in spirit by confirming what they knew.

All this love was spoken with the words "Thou Generation of vipers"..... and the prophesy that followed it.

I have something to add to this a sort of question:

21 ¶ Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those loving it eat its fruit.

Loving what? "It" - the power of the tongue.

Are we to love the power of the tongue?

James 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

James 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

What think ye that we should love the power of? The tongue that no man can tame?

God scattered the people at Babel so as to divide the power of the tongue. Just a thought.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great points, Thunderz, thanks for helping fill inthe gaps I left open in the original post.

You said, "Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
>>>if he is thinking he will die of this curse and is beleiving in the curse and not the curse removing Blood of Jesus;
is he as he thinks in his heart?<<<

That is the basis for my belief that we are what we say. Not some magical quality in our words, nor supernatural transmogrification of words into visible things but the fact that we are speaking in or out of faith in Christ. Job said, "the very thing I feared is upon me". This makes me think we may not even have to say it out loud to get what we think. With the mouth, the tongue, confession is made, and yes, it does seem like it could work for cursings as well as for salvation.

I don't think we "call" things into existence in the exact way God did in Creation. What power do we have?? The word of God is nigh thee, even in thy mouth. After all it was Jesus who said speak to the mountain and it will be removed. He also says what we bind on earth is bound in heaven and vice versa.

It's probably wise not to "limit" God by saying or thinking in our hearts that He said this, but what He really meant was this and that, esp. since He says nothing is impossible for Him.

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

I got to see some of the responces last night but hurricane dennis knocked out my power befor I could post.
We were only without power a few minutes, but I didn't try to get back online after that.
Real peacefull here now.

I have been in agreement with most that has been posted so far.
I like the point that we are not to and aare not able to move mountains that GOD has place or created.

Some questions on the man holding to the generation curse and dying at 51/51.

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
>>>if he is thinking he will die of this curse and is beleiving in the curse and not the curse removing Blood of Jesus;
is he as he thinks in his heart?<<<

Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
>>>speaking what is in his heart, because that is what he thinks and what he is;
is he not speaking evil?<<<

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
>>>if this principle works for salvation;
does the reverse not also happen><<<

>>>YHWH gives us free choice;
if this man thinks/beleives in his heart, he will not reach 51, speaks out his mouth he will not reach 51, has no belief in the curse removing Blood of Jesus, and speaks death to himself;
are his chances of making 51 not lessened?<<<

T7

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

eh, it was a good pull if I must say so! Sign me up for the Lord's Internet Army! I love that! You do crack me up BA! [pound] [roll on floor]

Seriously though I do think that it is where some of us have been planted by HIM. When he sends us somewhere else we will go, but for now this is where we are stationed. And it is a labor of love. [type]

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sister helpforhomeschoolers wrote
quote:
But I mean blessing and cursing.
(Talk about me pulling something out of context, eh?)The LORD will bless those who are diligently working in His vineyard, and we who regularly participate in this Internet church, will be blessed, that is, they will be paid:

"The Lord found some laborers standing idle in the market place, and the Lord said, 'Why stand you idle in the market place? Go, work in the vineyard of the Lord. And whatsoever is fair, I will pay you."

Brother and sisters, anyone who is giving of their time to this Internet church will be blessed or paid because that constitutes work in the vineyard and the Lord said, "whatever is fair, I will pay you."

So sister Carmela, sitting at the computer IS WORK and IS EVANGELIZING. I have before "advertised" for Christians in Bible schools or in Community Colleges: "Learn how to type fast for the Lord's Internet Army."

God bless all of us on this BBS, I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus of Nazareth

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Amen indeed BA! I really like this that you said:

quote:
May Word of God get into us and be exchanged for the words of Satan's kingdom.
That for me is very powerful!
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think the way we phrase things is very important. If we "live" by the sword" (not by the Sword of the Spirit but by anger and violence), then we will also "die by the sword," i.e., we will get the same back.

"For whatsoever a man sows, that he shall also reap."

There are ways of writing things in which I am only sharing with you what is happening WITH ME, and you can either take it or leave it.

Jesus was "full of grace"; there is such a thing for us as being more graceful now that we "have been with Christ." ("And they took note of them, that they had been with Jesus.")

May the Word of God get into us and be exchanged for the words of Satan's kingdom.

Speaking cleanly on the Internet church helps me speak with a cleaner mouth among the heathen.

(I had some "guests" talking on the front lawn, and it was "MF" this and "MF" that, and I thought to myself, "Thanks to the LORD God of Israel, I have been delivered from that kind of talking."

Is it okay to say that, or am I then saying:

"Lord I thank you that I am not like other sinners?" like the Pharisee of Jerusalem did in the parable.

Through the Word of God, I HAVE BEEN DELIVERED from certain habits that I used while in Satan's kingdom. The NEW WORDS and NEW CONCEPTS, yeah, GODLY CONCEPTS, that I am learning by studying the Word of God are becoming a new source of words that I can use, Amen?

The LORD God of Israel bless us all, I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus born in Bethlehem of Judah (Micah 5:2)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

The scripture says no one but God can effect the length of life. When we come in and go out is held in God's hands alone.
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Exactly, and I think that it is much different than praying. I think that there are things that we ask the father for - things for us for example.

But I mean blessing and cursing. I think that the OT Hebrews understood this and the Jews today perhaps understand this much more so than we. When Jacob spoke the blessings on the heads of his children I think that he had no doubt that he was speaking that which would come to pass.

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That person who says that he will die before he's 51 and does die

Is it because he spoke it

or

becaused he lived in a manner that he didn't expect to live past 51

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, I think you explained that pretty well. This is what I've come to understand too.

I think the most important part of understanding this is to remember that Jesus told us to Ask in his name. This is why I'm careful to Ask and not Claim and always saying "According to Your Will," because it may not be God's will that something I'm praying for be done exactly as I'm praying it be done (e.g., healing of cancer in someone). Sometimes there are Reasons only HE knows that things happen.

I don't mean to be getting 'off point,' sorry. But this new revelation (to me it's new) is something that almost scares me. I never want to say something outside of HIS Will and have it come to pass. I've become a Lot more cautious of what I say now.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Fantastic dicussion Thunder and I love the choice of scriptures that you chose!

I indeed believe that words have power - the Bible as you have said tells us that the power of life and death is in the tongue.

But what is life and death - HIS word is life - being spiritually minded is life and to be carnally minded is death.

This scripture I see differently than most apply it:

Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said to them, ‘Through your want of faith; for verily I say to you, if ye may have faith as a grain of mustard, ye shall say to this mount, Remove hence to yonder place, and it shall remove, and nothing shall be impossible to you, and this kind doth not go forth except in prayer and fasting.’

I see that Jesus is teaching a little something different that is comonly shown with this scripture.

The diciples have been unable to cast out a demon and heal this man. Jesus rebukes the demon and the demon leaves the man is healed in that hour.

The disciples come and ask why could they not do this.

Jesus says to them: Through your want of faith - in other words you did not believe you could cast out the demon.

But then Jesus says this:

if ye may have faith as a grain of mustard, ye shall say to this mount, Remove hence to yonder place, and it shall remove, and nothing shall be impossible to you.

Jesus says if you believe that you can move this mountain with your words in faith - or belief that is as small as a mustard seed. You can move this mountain. Nothing shall be impossible to you.

Now, my life has led me down the path of the occult and I am very aware that our personal words have power and there is nothing including the moving of inanimate objects that the human cannot do if he believes that he can. This belief is demonstrated in words - Mountain be moved!

We see this is actually a Biblical truth if we look at the story of Babel:

Genesis 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

When the same language was spoken - the same imaginations that were believed by men - were multiplied in their common speach. Mountain be moved was not spoken with the voice of one mustard seed of belief but with perhaps hundreds of thousands. Nothing that man could imagine would be restrained from him being able to accomplish.

But the problem is that man may want to move the mountain, but God has set it in its place.

So Jesus says - you can do what you believe you can do and you lacked belief that you could move this demon

But there is more.....

AND... and this kind doth not go forth except in prayer and fasting.

The moving of this kind of mountain required prayer and fasting - not just the belief of men that man could do what man desired to do.

The weapons of OUR warfare are NOT carnal. The mind of man is carnal unless it is renewed so that man is transformed into the iamge of Christ and his mind is transformed to be as the mind of Christ in will and want.

Obviously to me they lacked both.... belief and the seeking of God in the matter.

I think that our words have power; but I think that this power in the hands of carnal man is dangerous. The carnal mind in enmity with God and to be carnally minded IS death and the power OF death is in the tongue.

I believe that we indeed have the power to bless and to curse. I think that the apostles did speak both blessings and cursings; but we must take extreem care that we not find ourselves curing what God would not curse or blessing what God does not bless.

I do believe, every man is given a measure of faith (surely a measure is as big as a mustard seed) but that faith misused can mean death, just as the words of our tongue can speak life or death.

Today I have grave concern over the use of the power of words that I see by carnal minds.

I see that those who cast out demons in HIS name, but are the ones to whom he says "I never knew you" will cast out demons in faith... but not OF the faith of Christ, becaus to have the faith of Christ one must have the mind OF Christ and to have the mind OF Christ one must be born again OF God.

Sadly this power of words and its misuse by carnal minds , as you have said in other ways, tends to wrought out of people the opposite reaction - to deny the spiritual power of words instead of getting understanding about the spiritual power of words.

The devil does alway seem to work both sides of the fence if you know what I mean.

I see that in this case, (the case of words indeed having power) the thing that becomes important is that the Christian be renewed in mind so that what he imagines is what the Mind of Christ would imagine. This way he is not abusing his power in the gospel.

I do not know if this makes sense, or even if I have it all right... but it is my current understanding.

We can do many things in faith - but in faith in what or whom?

It is what is done that is not OF faith... OF the faith OF Christ... that is sin.

Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

God Bless you!

peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great question, Thunderz, got my brain revving up.

I believe our words have great power. That what we say has a great deal to do with everyday life, and it's appearance and events. I think if we speak about things like saying, oh, my dad had a heart attack at 50 and died, so I'm not going to live past that, I just know it" we are setting ourselves up for attack by the enemy. And if he is allowed, we will die before 51, based on our own beliefs and his connivance.

I don't think the Holy Spirit will allow us to use the power of our words to harm others, as in "calling fire down from heaven".

It may be that when the sons of God are at last manifested, or at some other point of God's choosing, we will have such power, and the ability to use it as God does, but right now, I don't think any of God's children in America or across the world is enough like Him to be trusted with the full-on power of the Holy Spirit.

To answer at least one of your questions, to some extent at least, yes, I believe the Scriptures you quoted are related and that there are many more which speak of the tongue and its power, as James 3:6 for instance "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." and James 3:10 "Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be."

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not believe in my own personal words as power, but I do believe that in the Written word of Yahweh God there is power.

For the word of God is powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Sorry if I was unclear.

Do you believe there is scriptural backing of power in your personal words;
or do you think your personal words meaningless?

T7

MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not to sound dumb, but I'm lost.

Is this meaning what you say or maybe saying you didn't mean to say something but you still thought it?

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the hope that we can have a discussion on this subject without it becoming another of the too numerous debates on the pro's and con's of heresy hunting.

I see far too often the extremes on this subject;
one side saying what we say means nothing, it's just words, expressions, or a figure of speech;
the other side giving God like creative power to the words of the mouth.

I am not interested into getting into who teaches it or who has a commentary on it;
I am interested in what "is written" and what my fellow members of CBBS, and the Body of Christ, think and how you see the scriptures concerning this subject.

So as to not get into too many scriptures at once I'll start with these.

Rom. 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

How do you see these scriptures?
How do they relate to each other?
What scriptures do you see these realted to?
Is there a principal or spiritual law involved?

Please give your input, and throw in any more questions you may have.

Shalom
T7

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement