Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » I have loved Jacob

Author Topic: I have loved Jacob
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
epouraniois writes in another thread
quote:
But take ol Esau, Jacob wasn't exactly fair, honest, or moral was he? {bold ny BORN AGAIN}
epouraniois, Jacob WAS fair and honest and moral. See this Topic for proof.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 14--TO THE END

Moreover, Yaakob worked for 7 years as a shepherd for Laban on the mere promise by Laban that Yaakob would receive Rachel for a wife at the end of those 7 years. Then when the 7 years of hard work were finally finished, Yaakob's uncle Laban deceitfully substituted Leah for Rachel at the wedding, claiming that the custom of the country didn’t permit the marriage of the elder daughter before the younger.

And yet, Yaakob was honorable enough to also marry Leah after Yaakob had unwittingly lain sexually with Leah, and now Yaakob was willing to care for 2 wives—and work hard and dangerously for another 7 years as a shepherd to gain the wife whom he loved and had been originally promised to him. How many of us self-righteous men would ever be willing to do all that without much complaint?

And after working faithfully for 7 more years because of the unexpected second wife, Yaakob now says to Laban in Gen.30:30, “It was little which you had, and it is now increased into a multitude; and now, when shall I provide for my own house also?” For these last 14 years, all the blessings had gone to Laban’s house, but Yaakob had never complained, even though Yaakob was very aware that his own house needed to be provided for also, against the day when Yaakob would finally have to leave for home.

And lastly, in Gen.31:7, Yaakob says to Laban’s sons who think that he has been cheating their father, “Your father has deceived me and changed my wages ten times; but God has not suffered him to hurt me.”

In all these things, Yaakob remained tam—complete, pious, gentle, dear, perfect, plain, undefiled and upright, even as the Word of God says of Noah and Job. Yaakob loved and believed and obeyed God and God was intent upon blessing Yaakob whom He had loved and recognized as the legal birthright owner from the beginning.

Let us therefore also love Yaakob, and not make him into “a trickster, a deceiver, and a supplanter” anymore.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 13

And of course 14 years prior to this, God had met Yaakob in a dream at Bethel when Yaakob was fleeing from the face of Esau to his Uncle Laban, as is described in Gen.28:12-16:

28:12 And Yaakob dreamed, and behold, a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold, the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

28:13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, "I am the LORD God of Abraham your father, and the God of Isaac; the land whereon you lie, to you will I give it, and to your seed";

28:14 "And your seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south; and in you and in your seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed."

28:15 "And, behold, I am with you, and will keep you in all places where you go, and will bring you again into this land; for I will not leave you, until I have done that which I have spoken to you of."

So now 14 years later is Yaakob, the tam man, the complete, pious, gentle, dear, perfect, plain, undefiled, and upright man, has dreamed again and will by faith feed the rest of Laban's flock, which now consists only of non-ringstraked and non-speckled and non-spotted cattle which by nature will not give birth to any ringstraked and speckled and spotted cattle, and from these cattle must come Yaakob's hire, but only if they are ringstraked and speckled and spotted. An astonishing miracle is about to take place:

30:37 And Yaakob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chestnut tree; and pealed white strakes in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.

30:38 And he set the rods which he had pealed before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink, that they should conceive when they came to drink.

30:39 And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.

30:40 And Yaakob did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the ringstraked, and all the brown in the flock of Laban; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and put them not with Laban's cattle.

30:41 And it came to pass, whensoever the stronger cattle did conceive, that Yaakob laid the rods before the eyes of the cattle in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods.

30:42 But when the cattle were feeble, he put them not in; so the feebler were Laban's, and the stronger Yaakob's.

30:43 And the man {Yaakob} increased exceedingly, and had much cattle, and maidservants, and menservants, and camels, and asses.

Surely, no amount of pealed rods will ever make a difference to these non-ringstraked and non-speckled and non-spotted sheep and goats, that these rods should make them give birth to ringstraked and speckled and spotted cattle. Rather, God is mightily blessing Yaakob with a great miracle. God is accepting Yaakob over Esau, and if we would vilify Yaakob in any way, we are vilifying God who has always chosen Yaakob, ever since Yaakob's prophetic birth when He caused the baby Yaakob to restrain his brother Esau, signifying thereby how the LORD would later restrain the profane Esau and him out of the Messianic line, even as the LORD had chosen Isaac over the older Ishmael, and later will choose Moses over the older Aaron, and choose Ephraim over the older Mannaseh.

And note indeed that Hebrews 11:20 says, "By faith Isaac blessed Yaakob and Esau concerning things to come." It was God's work.

In all this Yaakob himself has shown great faith and great kindness and great patience, for the life of a shepherd was very hard work, requiring many, many cold and dangerous hours in the open field, contending with wild animals, and going up ahead to clear noxious weeds from the pastures which would otherwise make his sheep sick.

TO BE CONTINUED.... [zzzzzz]

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN [Cross]

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 12

Some students of the Bible further assert that Yaakob attempted to cheat his uncle Laban in the matter of the cattle which Yaakob should receive for his wages. But let’s read the account in Gen.30:

30:27 And Laban said to {Yaakob}, “I pray you, if I have found favor in your eyes, tarry; for I have learned by experience that the LORD has blessed me for your sake.”

30:28 And {Laban} said, “Appoint me your wages, and I will give it.”

30:29 And {Yaakob} said to him, “You know how I have served you, and how your cattle was with me.”

30:30 “For it was little which you had before I came, and it is now increased into a multitude; and the LORD has blessed you since my coming; and now, when shall I provide for my own house also?”

Laban himself acknowledged in Gen.30:27 above that the coming and presence of the birthright holder Yaakob has and is causing the LORD to bless both Yaakob and Laban, for now all Laban possesses has increased into a multitude.

30:31 Then {Laban} said, “What shall I give you?” And Yaakob said, “You shall not give me anything; if you will do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep your flock”;

Yaakob is such a tam man, so gentle, kind and righteous, that he doesn’t even want his Uncle Laban to give him anything. Rather, he will again feed Laban’s flock and depend entirely upon a plan which has been revealed to Yaakob by the LORD, for Yaakob now proposes an astonishing plan to Laban through which Laban shall pay Yaakob his wages:

30:32 “I will pass through all your flock today, removing from them all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats; and of such shall be my hire.”

30:33 So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before your face; every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.”

30:34 And Laban said, “Behold, I would it might be according to your word.”

30:35 And he removed that day the he-goats that were ringstraked and spotted, and all the she-goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the brown among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons.

30:36 And he set three days’ journey between himself and Yaakob; and Yaakob fed the rest of Laban’s flocks.

Now notice the astonishing plan that Yaakob is proposing to get his wages. First, in Gen.30:32 above Yaakob says that he will remove all the ringstraked and speckled and spotted cattle from Laban’s flock, so that only the non-ringstraked and non-speckled and non-spotted cattle remain in Laban’s flock.

And then next, in Gen.30:33 Yaakob says that his hire will somehow come out of this non-ringstraked and non-speckled and non-spotted cattle...however, Yaakob will only receive those cattle that are ringstraked and speckled and spotted.

And notice further that it is Laban, not Yaakob, who in Gen.30:35 above actually removes all the ringstraked and spotted and speckled cattle from his flock and gives them into the hands of his own sons, and not into the hands of Yaakob.

And further, in Gen.30:36 above Laban puts three days’ journey between himself and Yaakob. And lastly, the flock that remains, that is, the non-ringstraked and the non-speckled and the non-spotted, which by nature would never give birth to ringstraked and speckled and spotted cattle, said to be “the rest of Laban’s flocks,” those Yaakob will now feed and tend and from those Yaakob must now somehow receive his hire.

Now, we know from genetics—and unquestionably both Laban and Yaakob, being shepherds, must have understood this too in their own way—that non-ringstraked and non-speckled and non-spotted cattle do not give birth to ringstraked and speckled and spotted cattle. So, if there is no miracle, there will in effect be no wages for Yaakob at the end of his service for Laban. And the wicked Laban understood that too and quickly said in Gen.30:34:

30:34 And Laban said, “Behold, I would it might be according to your word.”

Laban must have thought that Yaakob was nuts, and that this way he could restrain the poor Yaakob forever and yet be blessed by Yaakob’s presence, and have his daughters near to him as well.

But what Laban doesn’t know is that the LORD has shown Yaakob a dream, which is described in Gen.31:10-12:

31:10 And it came to pass at the time that the cattle conceived, that I [Yaakob] lifted up my eyes, and saw in a dream, and, behold, the rams which leaped upon the cattle were ringstraked, speckled, and grisled.

31:11 And the angel of God spoke to me in a dream, saying, “Yaakob”; and I said, “Here am I.”

31:12 And [the angel] said, “Lift up now your eyes, and see, all the rams which leap upon the cattle are ringstraked, speckled, and grisled; for I have seen all that Laban does to you.”

And Yaakob, being the tam man that he was, believed God and relied only on God, saying in Gen.30:31 to Laban:

30:31 ...“You shall not give me anything; if you will do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep your flock”;

God bless, BORN AGAIN

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 11

It has been asserted by some students of the Bible that Yaakob knew he had done something wrong by fleeing from the face of his brother Esau to his Uncle Laban. However, Gen.27:42-43 states that when Yaakob's mother Rebekah was told that Esau determined to kill Yaakob, she then told Yaakob to obey her voice once again:

27:41 And Esau hated Yaakob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him; and Esau said in his heart, “The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Yaakob.”

27:42 And these words of Esau her elder son were told to Rebekah; and she sent and called Yaakob her younger son, and said to him, “Behold, your brother Esau, as touching you, does comfort himself, purposing to kill you.”

27:43 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice; and arise, flee to Laban my brother to Haran;

In all this, Yaakob, being a tam man, again obeyed his mother, while Esau showed his profanity by showing total disregard for God’s commandment, “You shall not kill” (Deut.5:17).

God bless, BORN AGAIN

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 10

It was Yaakob’s mother Rebekah who put some goodly clothes of her first-born son Esau upon her youngest son Yaakob, and she put the goat skins on her son Yaakob’s hands and on the smooth of his neck before Yaakob went in to see his blind father Isaac, as is stated in Gen.27:15-16:

27:15 And Rebekah took goodly raiment of her eldest son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them upon Yaakob her younger son;

27:16 And she put the skins of the kids of the goats upon his hands, and upon the smooth of his neck;

27:17 And she gave the savory meat and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Yaakob.

And after that, Yaakob obeyed his mother and went in unto his father who was blind, and Yaakob announced himself to his father:

27:18 And he came to his father, and said, “My father”; and {Isaac} said, “Here am I; who are you, my son”?

27:19 Then Yaakob said to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn; I have done according as you bade me; arise, I pray you, sit and eat of my venison, that your soul may bless me.”

This statement that Yaakob makes to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn,” has often been seized upon by Yaakob’s detractors to show that Yaakob now lied to his father Isaac.

But the truth is that Yaakob had bought the birthright and all that pertained to it from Esau, and that purchase included the legal right, spiritually speaking, for Yaakob to now legally say, as to the birthright, “I am Esau your firstborn,” which was the same as saying, “I am the birthright owner.” When Yaakob legally bought the birthright, he also acquired the legal right to say, “I am Esau your firstborn.”

Now, of course, the physical, natural son Esau could still also say, “I am Esau your firstborn,” but now meaning strictly, “I am the firstborn physical, natural son. But spiritually and legally speaking, Yaakob could now also legally say, as to the birthright which he owned, “I am Esau your firstborn,” because Yaakob had bought the right to say so from Esau.

27:20 Then Isaac said to his son, “How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son”? And {Yaakob} said, “Because the LORD your God brought it to me.”

Here Yaakob is careful to say to Isaac “the LORD your God brought it to me” instead of “the LORD my God,” because the profane Esau would probably never have attributed anything to the LORD since Esau was a self-sufficient man, so why attribute anything to the LORD when the skillful, self-sufficient Esau could just as easily do quickly himself?

27:21 Then Isaac said to Yaakob, “Come near, I pray you, that I may feel you, my son, whether you are my very son Esau or not.”

27:22 Then Yaakob went near to Isaac his father; and {Isaac} felt {Yaakob}, and said, “The voice is Yaakob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.”

27:23 But {Isaac} discerned {Yaakob} not, because {Yaakob’s} hands were hairy, as his brother Esau’s hands; so {Isaac} blessed {Yaakob}.

27:24 And {Isaac} said, “Are you my very son Esau”? And {Yaakob} said, “I am.”

27:25 And {Isaac} said, “Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son’s venison, that my soul may bless you.” Then {Yaakob} brought it near to him, and {Isaac} did eat; and {Yaakob} brought him wine, and he drank.

27:26 Then his father Isaac said to him, “Come near now, and kiss me, my son.”

27:27 And {Yaakob} came near, and kissed him; and {Isaac} smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said, “See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the LORD has blessed”;

It was Rebekah who put some of Esau’s goodly clothes on Yaakob in Gen.27:15:

27:15 Then Rebekah took goodly raiment of her eldest son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them upon Yaakob her younger son;

In so doing, Yaakob’s mother Rebekah affirmed that to perform this legal ceremony of receiving the blessing, the goodly clothes of Esau, who was the former birthright holder, could and should now be legally put upon the new birthright holder, that the ceremony might be legally and ceremonially complete. And then Isaac blessed the new birthright holder, saying:

27:28 “Therefore God give you of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine”;

27:29 “Let people serve you, and nations bow down to you; be lord over your brethren, and let your mother’s sons bow down to you; cursed be everyone that curses you, and blessed be he that blesses you.”

In these blessings, Isaac now passed on to his son Yaakob the same blessings which the LORD had originally bestowed upon Yaakob’s grandfather Abraham and upon Yaakob’s father Isaac, which blessings were stated in Gen.12 for Abram and in Gen.26 for Isaac:

12:2 “I will make of you {Abram} a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing.”

12:3 “And I will bless them that bless you, and curse him that curses you; and in you shall all families of the earth be blessed.”

26:24 “...Fear not, for I am with you, and I will bless you, and multiply your seed for my servant’s Abraham’s sake.”

And it came to pass that as soon as Isaac had ended blessing Yaakob and Yaakob had left, that Esau came in, as is recorded in Gen.27:30-33:

27:30 And it came to pass, as soon as Isaac had made an end of blessing Yaakob, and Yaakob was yet scarce gone out from the presence of Isaac his father, that Esau his brother came in from his hunting.

27:31 And {Esau} also had made savory meat, and brought it to his father, and said to his father, “Let my father arise, and eat of his son’s venison, that your soul may bless me.”

27:32 Then Isaac his father said to him, “Who are you”? And {Esau} said, “I am your son, your firstborn Esau.”

27:33 Then Isaac trembled very exceedingly, and said, “Who? Where is he who has taken venison, and brought it to me, and I have eaten of all before you came, and have blessed him? Yes, and he shall be blessed.”

In Gen.27:32 above Isaac said, “Who are you”?, because Isaac probably immediately recognized that this was indeed his very son Esau, but Isaac was probably so shocked that there had been another son Esau who had just been there before this Esau had arrived with venison, that Isaac now blurred out, “Who are you,” not so much from a lack of recognition of Esau as from astonishment and confusion at the whole matter. For undoubtedly, Isaac had never known about the long-ago sale of the birthright.

27:34 And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry, and said to his father, “Bless me, even me also, O my father.”

27:35 And {Isaac} said, “Your brother came with subtilty, and has taken away your blessing.”

As stated earlier, it is evident that Esau never had told his father Isaac that he had sold the birthright for a mere pot of lentils. And for this reason, all Isaac can now think of is that Esau’s brother Yaakob had come with subtilty and had taken away Esau’s blessing. But had Isaac known the truth about the sale of the birthright, Isaac surely would not have said to Esau that Yaakob had come with subtilty and had taken away Esau’s blessing. Esau, however, knowing full well that his father Isaac knew nothing about the birthright sale for a mere pot of lentils, still immediately seized upon his father’s words “taken away”:

27:36 Then {Esau} said, “Is he not rightly named Ya-akob? For he has supplanted {Hebrew, yakob-ed} me these two times; he took away my birthright; and, look, now he has taken away my blessing also.” Then {Esau} said, “Have you not reserved a blessing for me”?

27:37 And Isaac answered Esau, “Look, I have made him your lord, and all his brethren have I given to him for servants; and with corn and wine have I sustained him; and what shall I do now to you, my son”?

God bless, BORN AGAIN

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 9

Not only had the profane and careless Esau not shared with his father Isaac that he had sold "that worthless birthright," Yaakob also would not have shared this good news with his father, because Yaakob knew that his father loved Esau, and Yaakob would have kept this news to himself in order not be the cause of his father Isaac being exceedingly disappointed in his son Esau whom he loved. So it is understandable that the tam Yaakob was now immediately concerned about his mother’s requests.

But precisely because Yaakob was a tam man, he was also an obedient son to the mother whom he loved, and when twice his mother commanded him to obey her voice, and furthermore she said that if there were to be a curse, she would take the curse upon herself, then Yaakob became obedient to the commands of his mother:

27:8 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to that which I command you.

27:13 And his mother said to him, “Upon me be your curse, my son; only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.”

27:14 Then he went, and fetched, and brought them to his mother: and his mother made savory meat, such as his father loved.

Nor was it a small matter for Rebekah to say, “Upon me be your curse, my son.” The English word curse translates the Hebrew word qelalah, which comes from the root qalal, which means to make be made light, to be made small, to be vilified. It was a very serious matter for her to be willing to take that curse upon herself and to say that to Yaakob, and Yaakob immediately understood the seriousness of the oath being made by his mother.

And furthermore, the tam and God-fearing Yaakob also knew to align himself with the LORD’s long-standing command—a command which was later would be formally codified in Deuteronomy 5:16, but which command had undoubtedly been known eversince the early times of the Garden of Eden—namely that Yaakob should:

5:16 Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you; that your days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with you...

In all this therefore, Yaakob obeyed his mother Rebekah. It was she who made the savory meat, it was she who took Esau's clothing and put it on Yaakob, and it was she who put the skins on Yaakob's arms and neck.

By contrast, Esau lied when he whined to his father Isaac, “{Yaakob} took away my birthright, and now he has taken away my blessing!” Yaakob never took away Esau's birthright because Esau had sold it to Yaakob. Moreover, Esau knew very well that the birthright was synonymous with the blessings. He just hadn’t expected to live that long, and now he had no one to blame but himself. For Esau had said to Yaakob

25:32 ...Then Esau said {to Yaakob}, "Look, I am at the point to die; and what profit shall this birthright do to me"?

God bless, BORN AGAIN

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 8

Indeed, we see from Gen.27:1-8 above, in which Isaac called Esau to bless him, that Isaac was completely unaware that his son Esau had sold his birthright to Yaakob, and this unawareness is understandable, since Esau despised the birthright, but also because Esau was probably aware that his father Isaac did value the birthright so that, in either case, Esau would not have mentioned the sale of the birthright to his father.

And additionally, Esau had apparently also not counted on living this long, since hunting in the field for wild animals was dangerous, causing Esau to say in Genesis 25:32:

32 Then Esau said {to Yaakob}, “Look, I am at the point to die; what profit shall this birthright do to me”?

For all the above reasons, it is certain that the profane and self-sufficient Esau never bothered to tell his father that Esau had sold the birthright to Yaakob about 40 years earlier.

By contrast, the love relationship between Rebekah and tam Yaakob must have been much closer, so close indeed that after Yaakob had bought the birthright, Yaakob would have rejoiced so much that he would have shared this fantastic news with his mother.

And upon hearing this, Rebekah must have remembered how the baby Yaakob had laid hold of the heel of baby Esau and now after these 40 years, she knew that the LORD had blessed her youngest son Yaakob to become the legal birthright holder.

And so it is recorded in Genesis 27:5-10:

5 And Rebekah heard when Isaac spoke to his son Esau. And Esau went to the field to hunt for venison, and to bring it.

6 Then Rebekah spoke to her son Yaakob, saying, “Look, I heard your father speak to your brother Esau, saying,

7 ‘Bring me venison, and make me savory meat, that I may eat, and bless you before the LORD before my death.’

8 “Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to that which I command you.”

9 “Go now to the flock, and fetch me from there two good kids of the goats; and I will make them savory meat for your father, such as he loves”;

10 “And you shall bring it to your father, that he may eat, and that he may bless you before his death.”

And listen to Yaakob's honest, tam answer in Genesis 27:11-14:

11 Then Yaakob said to Rebekah his mother, “Look, my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I am a smooth man”;

12 “My father will perhaps feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver; and I shall bring a curse upon me, and not a blessing.”

13 Then his mother said to him, “Upon me be your curse, my son; only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.”

14 Then {Yaakob} went, and fetched, and brought them to his mother; and his mother made savory meat, such as his father loved.

Notice thus that the tam Yaakob was immediately alarmed when his mother commanded him to do these things, and said, “My father will perhaps feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver.”

Yaakob knew very well that he was not a deceiver because he knew that he was the legal owner of the birthright, but even the very thought that his father might think that he was a deceiver was abhorrent to the tam Yaakob. These are not the reactions of a deceiver, but are the reactions of an honest man, of a tam man.

TO BE CONTINUED..... [zzzzzz]

BookerB
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, are you going to continue it? [type]
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 7

In order to show that Yaakob was 77 years old when he received the birthright blessing from his 137-year-old father, the following calculation needs to be understood, because Yaakob’s 77-year-old age is not directly stated in Genesis, but can be calculated from the following:

• Yaakob's son Joseph was 30 years old when Joseph became Vice-Pharaoh of Egypt (Gen.41:46).

• When Yaakob came into Egypt and stood before Pharaoh, Yaakob was 130 years old (Gen.47:9), and that standing before Pharaoh moreover occurred at the end of 7 years of good harvest (Gen.41:47) and at the end of 2 years of bad harvest (Gen.45:6). Therefore, when Yaakob stood before Pharaoh, Joseph was 39 years old (Joseph was 30 years old + 7 years of good harvest + 2 years of bad harvest = Joseph was 39 years old) when Yaakob stood before Pharaoh at age 130.

• This means that Joseph was born in Haran where Yaakob had fled from Esau’s face when Yaakob was 91 years old (Yaakob was 130 before Pharaoh - 39 for Joseph's age, so Yaakob was 91 when Joseph was born in Haran).

• And lastly, subtract 14 more years from Yaakob’s age, because Yaakob worked 14 years for Laban to marry Leah and Rachel (Gen.31:41), so that Yaakob was 77 years old (91-14 = 77) when Yaakob received the birthright blessing from his father Isaac and had to flee from Esau’s face to his Uncle Laban in Haran.

It can thus be seen that for at least 40 years Esau laid no claim whatsoever to the birthright which he had profanely and carelessly sold to his brother Yaakob before both of them were 40 years old.

And so when Yaakob and Esau were 77 years old, their father Isaac was 137 years old (because Esau and Yaakob were born to Isaac when Isaac was 60 years old). By now, Isaac had become blind and he wasn’t sure when he might die (eventhough Isaac lived to be 180 years old), and so Isaac called his oldest son Esau to him in Genesis 27:1-10:

1 And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim so that he could not see, that he called his oldest son Esau, and said to him, “My son,” and {Esau} said to him, “Behold, here I am.”

2 And {Isaac} said, “Behold now, I am old, and I don't know the day of my death.”

3 “Now therefore take, I pray you, your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out into the field, and take me some venison.”

4 “And make me some savory meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that I may bless you before I die.”

5 But Rebekah heard when Isaac spoke to his son Esau. And Esau went to the field to hunt for venison, and to bring it.

6 Then Rebekah spoke to her son Yaakob, saying, “Look, I heard your father speak to your brother Esau, saying,

7 "Bring me venison, and make me some savory meat, that I may eat and bless you before the LORD before my death."

9 “Go now to the flock, and fetch me from there two good kids of the goats; and I will make them into savory meat for your father, such as he loves”.

10 “And you shall bring it to your father, that he may eat, and that he may bless you before his death.”

It is often overlooked in this matter of Yaakob going before his father to receive the blessing that it was Rebekah, Yaakob’s mother and parent, who told Yaakob to obey her voice and to do what she commanded and to go to his father and to secure the blessing, as it said in Genesis 27:8,10:

It must further be remembered that Isaac loved his son Esau, but Rebekah loved her son Yaakob, as is stated in Genesis 25:28:

28 And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison; but Rebekah loved Yaakob.

It is also easy to believe that because Esau was such a self-sufficient man who needed no one’s help, not even God’s, that Esau’s relationship with his father Isaac was more cordial and distant and more “manly” than the relationship between the tam Yaakob and his mother Rebekah.

And indeed, Genesis 25:28 above said that Isaac loved his son Esau specifically because Isaac liked to eat the venison which Esau was able to procure. But other than that, Isaac was grieved when his son Esau carelessly married two local Hamite Hittite women who were a grief of mind to both Isaac and Rebekah, as is recorded in Genesis 26:34-35:

34 And when Esau was 40 years old he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite;

35 Who were a grief of mind to Isaac and to Rebekah.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 6

Many years after that, Yaakob went into the tent of his blind father Isaac to receive the birthright blessing, and in the tent was his blind father Isaac, as is recorded in Genesis 27:18:

18 And {Yaakob} came to his {blind} father {Isaac}, and {Yaakob} said, "My father." And {Isaac} said, "Here I am; who are you, my son?"

And then Yaakob said that he was Esau, as is recorded in Genesis 27:19:

19 And Yaakob said to his {blind} father {Isaac}, "I am Esau your firstborn..."

Most people do not realize that Yaakob had acquired this birthright from his twin brother Esau a few years before Yaakob and Esau were 40 years old, but by the time Yaakob stood before his father Isaac in the tent to receive the birthright blessings, Yaakob was already 77 years old.

That is, at least 40 years had passed since Yaakob had bought this birthright, and for these 40 years Esau had never bothered to tell his father Isaac that Esau had despised and undervalued his birthright and sold it to Yaakob. Indeed, it may well be believed that Esau had completely forgotten about the birthright for these last 40 years.

To substantiate the statement that Esau had sold Yaakob the birthright while both men were still less than 40 years old, we know that Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebekah, as is recorded in Genesis 25:20:

20 And Isaac was 40 years old when he took Rebekah to wife...

Next, Isaac was 60 years old when the twins Esau and Yaakob were born, as Genesis 25:26 records:

26 And after that came his brother out...and Isaac was 60 years old when {Rebekah} bore them.

Then more years passed until the boys were grown, and Esau had become a cunning hunter, and Yaakob had become a tam man dwelling in tents, as Genesis 25:27 records:

27 And the boys grew; and Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field; and Yaakob was a tam man, dwelling in tents.

And it was on one of those days when the adult Esau came out of the field and was famished and asked Yaakob for some red pottage, as is recorded in Genesis 25:29-31:

29 And Yaakob had sod pottage; and Esau came from the field...

30 And Esau said to Yaakob, “Feed me, I pray you, with that same red pottage...”

31 And Yaakob said, “Sell me this day your birthright.”

Then Esau profanely sold his birthright to his twin brother Yaakob.

Then, some years after that, Esau got married at age 40, as is recorded in Genesis 26:34:

34 And Esau was 40 years old, when he took to wife Judith...and Bashemath...

From the above, it can see that Esau sold the birthright a number of years before he and Yaakob were 40 years old, because Esau sold his birthright to Yaakob before Esau got married at age 40.

When the twins Yaakob and Esau were 40 years old, their father Isaac was 100 years old, since Esau and Yaakob were born to Isaac when Isaac was 60 years old, as Genesis 25:26 records:

26 And after that came his brother out...and Isaac was 60 years old when {Rebekah} bore them.

And so at least for the next 40 years after Esau had sold his birthright, Esau had said nothing to his father Isaac that he had sold the birthright.

That is, not until Esau and Yaakob were 77 years old, and their father Isaac was 137 years old, then Isaac decided to bestow the birthright blessing upon Esau who, unbeknownst to Isaac, was no longer the legal owner of the birthright.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 5

Yaakob just loved being in the genealogical line through which the Messiah would come. And therefore the LORD God, knowing what would occur in the future, already loved Yaakob from the womb, and caused this little boy to aqab his profane brother Esau, so that, as a matter of prophecy, the LORD showed from the very beginning that the adult Yaakob would restrain his profane brother Esau from being in the line of the Messiah. And that is why the LORD said of Esau in Malachi 1:2 and Romans 9:13:

2 “...Was not Esau Yaakob’s brother?”...“Yet I loved Yaakob.”

13 As it is written, “Yaakob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.”

Yaakob rightly valued the precious spiritual birthright. More than anything else, Yaakob wanted to be in the line of the Messiah. I can imagine that Yaakob must have been absolutely delighted and astonished beyond belief when he realized that he had suddenly acquired the Messianic birthright from his sah-tam brother for as little as a pot of red lentil soup!

Indeed, the price which Yaakob had paid for the birthright was small, but that was not the result of any evil intent on Yaakob’s part, but was only the result of Esau’s contempt for the preciousness of that birthright, and Yaakob, like any normal person, was only too delighted to have acquired what he had valued so much for so long, for such a small price.

But let’s not be mistaken about this: once Yaakob had paid for the birthright, even though he had paid only a small price, the birthright thereafter was legally Yaakob’s.

It is important to stress that, because his legal ownership makes it possible for Yaakob many years later to legally say to his father Isaac, “I am Esau your firstborn,” because Yaakob had bought and paid for the right to say so. As to the birthright, Yaakob had become "Esau the firstborn."

It was instead Esau who many years later still had the audacity to claim to his father Isaac that Esau was the birthright son, when in fact Esau had profanely sold that birthright away many years ago to Yaakob, a fact which Esau had conveniently failed to mention to his father.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 4

Abraham had given all that he had to Isaac, and so when Isaac's son Esau came famished and faint from the field, in an instant one of Isaac's numerous servants would have been available to instantly make Esau something to eat, and indeed something to eat must always have been at the ready in this very wealthy household. There would have been cold roast meat and jerky and leben curlded milk and dates, and much more.

The fact is therefore that Esau was merely famished and desired some of that delicious-smelling red pottage that his brother Yaakob was making, and in that tired moment when Esau couldn’t care less about the things of God or whether the Messiah would come from anyone’s loins, the tam Yaakob asked his sah-tam brother Esau to sell Yaakob his birthright, as it is written in Genesis 25:32 and 25:34:

32 And so Esau said {to Yaakob}, “Look, I am at the point to die; what profit shall this birthright do me” ?

33 Then Yaakob said, “Swear to me this day”; and {Esau} swore to him; and so {Esau} sold his birthright to Yaakob.

34 Then Yaakob gave Esau bread and soup of {red} lentils; and {Esau} ate and drank, and rose up, and went his way; thus Esau despised his birthright.

And what was that despised birthright? It consisted of the right to be in the promised national line from which would come a multitude of people and from which would come many nations and which would possess the gates of their enemies, plus it consisted of the right to be in the line from which the Messiah would be born, as was written in Genesis 22:18:

18 {Abraham}, “In your seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed...”

And Genesis 17:19 further said,

19 And God said to Abraham, “Sarah your wife shall bear you a son indeed; and you shall call his name Isaac, and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Isaac's son Esau despised this most important part of the birthright and couldn't care less about it. He cared about the double portion of physical property which any firstborn would inherit, but Esau fully expected to die in the field long before the time ever came to enjoy it.

And that is why the Hebrew writer of the book of Hebrews in the Christian Greek New Testament wrote at Hebrews 12:16:

12:16 Lest there be among you...a profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

This word profane doesn’t mean vulgar language, but means to treat something holy with contempt. And in that way Esau was a profane person, meaning he couldn’t care less about “God and all that religious stuff that his silly brother liked.”

And besides, Esau figured that he would die soon in the very dangerous wilderness, and so what profit would the birthright be for him then? And besides, Esau was a very skillful hunter and he didn’t need some God to help him survive, as was written in Genesis 25:27:

27 ...Esau was a very skillful hunter, a man of the field...

And so sah-tam Esau sold his birthright to his tam brother Yaakob, and Esau swore to it, as is written in Genesis 25:33:

33 Then Yaakob said {to Esau}, “Swear to me this day”; and {Esau} swore to him; and so {Esau} sold his birthright to Yaakob.

Yaakob was now the legal owner of the birthright which had belonged to Esau.

TO BE CONTINUED...... [zzzzzz]

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 3

On one of the days that Esau had been hunting in the wilderness all day long, Esau came out of the field and came into the family camp of his very rich family and Esau was absolutely famished from the hunt, and Esau felt weak and faint, as is recorded in Genesis 25:29:

29 And Yaakob {was busy} preparing soup {of red lentils}, when Esau came in from the field; and he was faint.

This English word faint translates the Hebrew word gah-yehph which means to be famished and to feel weak as a result. So for instance in 2 Samuel 17:29, the people were hungry and weary:

29 ...The people are hungry and weary {Hebrew, gah-yehph}.

And so now this super-hungry Esau comes in and Esau asks his brother Yaakob for some of that red lentil soup which the tam Yaakob was making, as is recorded in Genesis 25:30-32:

30 Then Esau said, “Feed me, I pray you, with some of that red pottage; for I am faint {Hebrew, gah-yehph}.

31 {Then} Yaakob said, “Sell me your birthright today.”

For years, this tam, upright Yaakob had yearned after the LORD and knew that to be in the line of the birthright, meant spiritually that he would be part of the genealogical line through which the Redeemer Yashua would be born, as was later recorded in Micah 5:2:

2 But you, Bethlehem-Ephratah, though you be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall he come forth unto me who will be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been of old, from everlasting.

For a long time, tam Yaakob had seen how his sah-tam brother Esau, a man of the field whose life was in constant danger, could care less about this great privilege to be in the genealogical line of the future Messiah.

But tam Yaakob did desire after the things of the LORD, as was already foreshadowed when baby Yaakob grabbed the heel of his brother Esau who had preceded him out of the womb.

And because of Yaakob’s desire after the LORD was so great, Yaakob dared to ask his sah-tam brother to sell him the birthright, as was recorded in Genesis 25:31-32:

31 Then Yaakob said, “Sell me your birthright today.”

32 Then Esau said, “Look, I am at the point to die; what profit shall this birthright do me”?

Do you see what Esau said? Esau said that he was at the point to die. But that does not mean that Esau was about to starve to death because Esau’s parents were Isaac and Rebekah who were very rich, having inherited everything from his father and mother Abraham and Sarah, who also were very rich.

Abraham and Sarah owned more than 300 home-born servant-slaves and they had silver and gold and much cattle and camels and asses, as is written in Genesis 13:2 and Genesis 12:16 and Genesis 14:14:

2 And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold.

16 ...and {Abram} had sheep, and oxen, and he asses, and menservants, and maidservants, and she asses, and camels.

14 ...Abram armed his trained servants born in his own house, 318 men {servants}...

Isaac was the only son of Abraham and Sarah, and Isaac inherited all that his parents Abraham and Sarah had, as is recorded in Genesis 25:5:

5 And Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

PART 2

Yaakob and Esau were the twin sons of their father Isaac and their mother Rebekah, as is recorded in Genesis 25:24-27:

24 And when {Rebekah’s} days to deliver {a baby} were completed, behold, there were twins in her womb.

25 And the first {baby} came out red, like a hairy garment all over; and {his parents} called his name Esau.

26 And after that came out {Esau’s} brother {Yaakob}, and the hand of {the baby Yaakob} took hold of {baby} Esau’s heel; and {that second baby} was called Yaakob; and Isaac was 60 years old when {Rebekah} bore these {twins sons}.

27 And the boys grew; and Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field; and Yaakob was a tam man, dwelling in tents.

28 And Isaac loved Esau, because {Isaac} did eat {Esau’s} venison {of the field}; but Rebekah loved Yaakob.

Now, even though baby Yaakob grabbed the heel of baby Esau, the LORD still called Yaakob a tam man, a complete man, a pious man, a gentle man, a dear man, a perfect man, a plain and undefiled man, and an upright man.

Why? Because it was the Spirit of the LORD which prophetically motivated baby Yaakob to grab the heel of baby Esau, as was recorded in Genesis 25:26:

26 After him {Esau}, his brother {Yaakob} came out, and his {Yaakob’s} hand took hold on Esau’s heel; and he {the second baby} was called Yaakob.

The Hebrew name Yaakob comes from the root aqab, which means to swell up, and when speaking of the human body, aqab was the swollen part of the human body known as the human heel, the swollen bone of the foot.

In other words, the name Ya-akob was given to him to memorialize what had just happened, for it was unusual that a baby would grab the heel of the other baby who had just preceded Yaakob, and so the name Ya-akob, from the root aqab, or to swell up, meant the one who grabbed the heel.

Now, a lot of Christians, especially Gentile Christians, think that Yaakob’s name was given to him because he himself was a heel or a bad person. But when baby Yaakob was grown, the LORD still called Yaakob a tam man. Yaakob can therefore not have been a trickster, nor a deceiver; instead, his brother Esau was the trickster, as we shall see momentarily.

Later in his tam life, Yaakob asked his brother Esau to sell Yaakob the rights-of-the-firstborn which belonged to Esau because Esau had come out of the womb first.

This transaction was entirely legal because Yaakob asked Esau to sell Yaakob the birthright.

But immediately Esau’s sah-tam character showed itself again, by Esau disinterestedly agreeing to sell his birthright to his tam brother Yaakob.

Why did Esau sell it? Because Esau was a skillful hunter in the wide open wilderness areas, riding almost daily among lions and leopards and wild boars and bears, as is recorded in Genesis 25:27:

27 And the boys grew; and Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field...

Living by hunting in the days before rifles was a very dangerous business, but Isaac loved the wild meat which his son Esau brought from the wilderness areas into the family camp, which supplemented the meat from the flocks, meat they could roast and turn into jerky, as is recorded in Genesis 25:28:

28 And Isaac loved Esau because {Isaac} ate {Esau’s} venison; but Rebekah loved Yaakob.

Esau’s life was definitely in danger every day, from lions in the thickets and leopards leaping from trees, so Esau was very certain that he would die long before he ever got to use those birthright rights which after all had only become his because he had come out of the womb first, that's all.

And so Esau fully expected that one of these days in the field he was going to die. And with that in mind, let's listen to what Esau said to Yaakob after Yaakob asked Esau to sell Yaakob his birthright.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

I HAVE LOVED JACOB OR YAAKOB

By
BORN AGAIN

Written in 1997

This study is intended to provide a portrait of a lovely Yaakob, a tam man in Hebrew, a man who for much too long has been portrayed by many Christians as a trickster and a deceiver. I am indebted to Dr. Joseph H. Cohn (alive from 1886-1953 in our time) for his book, I Have Loved Yaakob (publisher, The American Board of Missions to the Jews; 1948), which book was instrumental in realigning my perception of Yaakob with the LORD's perception of Yaakob, and this is what the LORD has said about Yaakob, "I have loved Yaakob." (Malachi 1:2 and Romans 9:13).

Now, search as one might, nowhere in the scriptures does the LORD ever speak badly of Yaakob, but instead the LORD says that He loved Yaakob, as Malachi 1:2 says:

2 ...Was not Esau Yaakob's brother?, says the LORD, Yet I loved Yaakob.

And it is furthermore written in Genesis 25:27 that Yaakob was a plain man:

27 ...and Yaakob was a plain man, dwelling in tents.

The English word plain doesn't do justice to the Hebrew word tam which it translates; tam is the very opposite of deceit and trickery and instead tam means complete, pious, gentle, dear, perfect, plain, undefiled, and upright. Note for example the following scriptures from the Torah and Prophets and Psalms in which tam was used:

Job1:1 There was a man...whose name was Job, and that man was perfect {Hebrew, tam} and upright, one that feared God, and one who avoided evil.

Psalm37:37 Mark the perfect {Hebrew, tam} man, and behold the upright; for the end of that man is peace.

Prov.29:10 The bloodthirsty hate the upright {Hebrew, tam}.

Cant.5:2 ...Open to me, my love, my dove, my undefiled {Hebrew, tam}...

Now, in the Christian era, there was a Saul in Israel who was a Hebrew of Hebrews from southeast Turkey and was from the tribe of Benjamin, as is recorded in Philippians 3:5:

5 [Saul writes that he was], "Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews, as regarding the law a Pharisee."

And this Hebrew Saul, whose Roman name was Paul, wrote a number of the books in the Christian era for the Greek New Testament, and in one of those books Saul quotes Malachi 1:2 and says that Yaakob was loved and that Esau was hated, as is written in Romans 9:13:

13 As it is written, Yaakob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

This word hated which Paul used is the Greek word miseo, from which comes our English word mise-rable, as in, Esau was a miserable sucker. By contrast, in Genesis 25:27 it is said that Yaakob is a tam man:

27 ...and Yaakob was a tam {KJV, plain} man, dwelling in tents.

This Hebrew word tam means the very opposite of deceit and trickery and means instead complete, pious, gentle, dear, perfect, plain, undefiled, and upright.

By contrast, the LORD God of the Hebrews makes it clear that Esau was the very opposite of tam, saying in Genesis 27:41 that Esau hated Yaakob:

41 And Esau hated Yaakob...

This English word hated translates the Hebrew word sah-tam, which means to be without tam, to be without completeness, without gentleness, without uprightness; Esau was a sah-tam man, a man without peace.

By contrast, tam means complete, pious, gentle, dear, perfect, plain, undefiled, and upright, but sah-tam means to be devoid of all these great qualities, and so the LORD said that Esau had sah-tam-ed his brother Yaakob in Genesis 27:41:

41 And Esau hated {Hebrew, sah-tam} Yaakob...

The people on earth who therefore speak badly of Yaakob as I used to speak badly of Yaakob, those people will find themselves cursing the man whom the LORD has not cursed. For Yaakob was the tam man, while Esau was the sah-tam man.

Even the wicked Balaam of Padan-Aram could not curse the nation of Yaakob-Israel after Israel had come out of Egypt as one people, for even wicked Balaam was forced to say by the Spirit of the LORD that the descendants of Yaakob could not be cursed, saying in Numbers 23:7-8:

7 ...{Balaam said},..{O You}, king of Moab have brought me {here}...saying, Come, curse me Yaakob...

8 {And then Balaam said}, But how shall I curse whom God has not cursed? Or how shall I defy, whom the LORD has not defied?

When it concerned Yaakob, the Spirit of the LORD came upon Balaam and Balaam saw that it pleased the LORD to bless Yaakob-Israel (for the LORD had renamed Yaakob with the name Israel sometime earlier), saying in Numbers 24:1-2:

1 And when Balaam saw that it pleased the LORD to bless Israel...

2 Then Balaam looked up and saw Israel abiding in their tents according to {Israel’s 12} tribes; and the Spirit of God came upon him.

3 And {Balaam} then took up this parable and said,...

5 How goodly are your tents, O Yaakob, and your dwellings, O Israel!

Yaakob was clearly a tam man in the LORD's eyes. Indeed, that Yaakob was a tam man is the very first thing that is said about Yaakob after Yaakob has grown up along with his sah-tam twin-brother Esau:

Genesis 25
27 ...and Yaakob was a tam man, dwelling in tents.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement