Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Purpose Driven Politics

Author Topic: Purpose Driven Politics
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to Rick Warren on Fox News during the Christmas season. There were a couple of different interviews. I was genuinely appreciative of what he had to say. He said it well, and I mean truly well.

I have not been in agreement with Rick Warren concerning a "Purpose Driven Life," to the end that I have referred to it as either the purple driven strife, or the porpose diving life, or, you know, some sarcastic parallel, or parody. And I have criticized his judgment on accepting the invitation to inaugurate Obama. But I listened to Rick Warren on Fox News during the Christmas season. There were a couple of different interviews. I was genuinely appreciative of what he had to say. He said it well, and I mean truly well, concerning the purpose of Christmas, and a few other things. I celebrate his words.

But the reason I comment on his "Purpose Drivenness," is that it is well meaning, however, not of being led. It is rather, self-effort out of good intentions. And that is also ok, except our God calls us to a higher ideal. We wouldn't want to miss it for thinking we are to discover our purpose, and make the will of God happen.

I think the case can be made that it is not about purpose, but potential. But potential is not discovered, neither does it blossom unless we 'connect' properly to the truth. Then 'potential' exists in its raw state, but it does not necessarily net results. I have to say that I 'know' the potential, and have fallen woefully short of what, so far, could have been manifested. I would go so far to believe that I have missed by an earth shaking truckload (a heavily loaded truck) seeing what HE is willing to pour out. For I have perhaps squandered, or resisted HIS power, and missed opportunities.

Well I know that it is a learning curve, but should I be so hard on myself? Well, yes. I think I should.

[Prayer] Lord, thank you for your mercy, and may you have as much on those of the missed opportunities as you have had on me. For I have let them and you down way too oft.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Warren to give inaugural invocation

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Rick Warren hosted a presidential forum in August.
(CNN) — President-elect Barack Obama's swearing-in ceremony will feature big names like minister Rick Warren and legendary singer Aretha Franklin, the Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies announced Wednesday.

Warren, the prominent evangelical and founder of the Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, will deliver the ceremony's invocation. The minister hosted a presidential forum at his church last summer that challenged both Obama and Arizona Sen. John McCain on a host of faith-related issues. Warren did not endorse either presidential candidate.

His public support for California's Proposition 8 — the measure that successfully passed and called for outlawing gay marriage in the state — sparked the ire of many gay rights proponents, who seized on a comment in an October newsletter to his congregation: "This is not a political issue — it is a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about."

But Warren has long sought to broaden the focus of the evangelical agenda to include issues like the reduction of global poverty, human rights abuses, and the AIDS epidemic.

Also included in the inaugural program are cellist Yo-Yo Ma, the United States Marine Band, and other performers.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Rick Warren • Uncategorized

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement