Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Tithing Principle Not Applied Accurately Today

Author Topic: Tithing Principle Not Applied Accurately Today
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Bible]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBH
Member # 8379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.missionraffle.com/

I came across this site to support the Mission of St. Francis in Ft. Lauderdale Florida and thought it was nifty, but also wondered if it was in keeping with the spirit of not gambling. I know we have church Bingo, but this is different. I know of someone who won a raffle for a home at $100 per ticket, and this is only $30. That other one was not for a charity, but for a real estate company to have a gimmick. This is a bona fide philanthropy and a good cause.

Thoughts?

--------------------
JBH
Loganville, GA

Posts: 4 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Dale, you answered and answered it well.
Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[wave3] Itty-Bitty Girl,

Tithe just means 10%, a tithe was required under the Old Covenant, some will argue and rightly so actually more than 10 % was required under the Old Covenant but after Yeshua died and resurrected the child of Yahweh is not under Law, this is where many miss what “Grace” means.

The Law is not done away with, it is still here but no one can keep it perfectly and “Perfect” is what Yahweh requires…

Now if you are “Born Again”, the love for Yahweh and His Law exist in your heart, where as before you had no desire or even concern for the Law and the things of Yahweh.

If you love Yahweh you will want to give, it will be a joy but you are not under any obligation by command to give or tithe.

That is very short but I hope it answers your question?

If not let me know.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but, Dale, giving is not tithing, right?
Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the day or maybe I should say period of time we live in, Yahweh only considers the heart….(in all things) but the scriptures have this to say about giving.

2 Corinthians 9 KJV
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

If you purpose in your heart to give 10% , give 10% but do not give it out of necessity or because you think it a requirement by Yahweh.

Just give what your heart feels is right, and give it cheerfully,

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freddy05
Advanced Member
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freddy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I stopped tithing, I have received two raises, sold my house at a huge profit, and the stock market is on the up and my portfolio is up 50% in 2 years!

Does that mean I made a good decision not to tithe?

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we started paying our tithes, God has blessed us with hubby getting approved for medical care at the VA and me having enough money to pay for my pain medication(I have no insurance).
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
He believes churches are ignoring the context of Malachi 3:10 when they teach mandatory tithing and take money from the disadvantaged who need it for medicine and basic necessities.

That is so sad. Satan is intelligent, we must not underestimate his powers to decieve.
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tithing Principle Not Applied Accurately Today, Author Says Jody Brown

Forget the fact that most American Christians today choose not to tithe to their local church. One author claims there is mounting opposition to the doctrine of tithing itself -- and he believes his interpretation of the principle backs those who oppose it.

Studies conducted by The Barna Group over the past several years indicate the percentage of regular church attenders who give ten percent or more of their income -- a "tithe" -- to their church is dropping. For example, Barna's surveys since the turn of the century have consistently indicated that percentage to be less than one out of every ten -- and that is among self-proclaimed Christians who describe themselves as "deeply spiritual" or "absolutely committed to the Christian faith."

And unless the situation has changed since reported in 2000 by Christian Financial Concepts (now Crown Financial Ministries), a small minority of givers are footing the majority of churches' financial obligations. That report stated that 80 percent of monies contributed to evangelical churches came from 20 percent of their members, that the remaining 20 percent came from 30 percent of the members -- and that roughly half of the church members gave nothing at all.

Perhaps those who choose not to tithe or to give anything at all simply have decided they cannot afford to do so. Or perhaps, like Dr. Russell Earl Kelly, they believe the tithing principle taught in the Old Testament was never commanded as an eternal moral principle of the New Covenant to the Church. He believes churches are ignoring the context of Malachi 3:10 when they teach mandatory tithing and take money from the disadvantaged who need it for medicine and basic necessities.

Read on:
http://www.crosswalk.com/news/religiontoday/1436240.html

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement