Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Why So Many 'Unwanted Jobs?'

Author Topic: Why So Many 'Unwanted Jobs?'
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that the UK has a very similar legal code, but whether or not they have broken the law is not the issue. Does the fact they are in a country illegally mean you are exempt from showing compassion? Does it mean they are exempt from mercy? Does it mean that you don't have to treat them as your neighbour?

What happens when the guy next door is desperate conditions and steals some food for his family - do you condemn him, spit in his eye and walk away? Or do you rely on your values as a Christian and give him comfort and help him, show him the love that Jesus talks about?

When others have broken laws, we are realistic about the form of punishment and their fogiveness. Why is immigration so different? For mugging, you may be taken from your children and family for a year and put in jail - for an immigration offence, are we really suggesting that people be deported for this, taking them from their familes for the rest of their lives?

I don't hear christians, when talking about immigration, talk about the forced repatriation of millions of people, so what else are you to do? Continue to demonise them or start acting the way a Christian should - with compassion, generousity and love?

We have to be realistic about immigration and not open the door to all without restrictions as that would not help anyone, but I think we have become greedy as we have become more wealthy and this influences our responses to immigration. We want to keep all of the benefits of our economies to ourselves, and are reluctant to share these with others.

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
§ 1201. Issuance of visas

(a) Immigrants; nonimmigrants

(1) Under the conditions hereinafter prescribed and subject to the limitations prescribed in this chapter or regulations issued thereunder, a consular officer may issue

(A) to an immigrant who has made proper application therefor, an immigrant visa which shall consist of the application provided for in section 1202 of this title, visaed by such consular officer, and shall specify the foreign state, if any, to which the immigrant is charged, the immigrant’s particular status under such foreign state, the preference, immediate relative, or special immigrant classification to which the alien is charged, the date on which the validity of the visa shall expire, and such additional information as may be required; and

(B) to a nonimmigrant who has made proper application therefor, a nonimmigrant visa, which shall specify the classification under section 1101 (a)(15) of this title of the nonimmigrant, the period during which the nonimmigrant visa shall be valid, and such additional information as may be required.

(2) The Secretary of State shall provide to the Service an electronic version of the visa file of each alien who has been issued a visa to ensure that the data in that visa file is available to immigration inspectors at the United States ports of entry before the arrival of the alien at such a port of entry.

(b) Registration; photographs; waiver of requirement
Each alien who applies for a visa shall be registered in connection with his application, and shall furnish copies of his photograph signed by him for such use as may be by regulations required. The requirements of this subsection may be waived in the discretion of the Secretary of State in the case of any alien who is within that class of nonimmigrants enumerated in sections 1101
(a)(15)(A), and 1101 (a)(15)(G) of this title, or in the case of any alien who is granted a diplomatic visa on a diplomatic passport or on the equivalent thereof.

(c) Period of validity; requirement of visa
An immigrant visa shall be valid for such period, not exceeding six months, as shall be by regulations prescribed, except that any visa issued to a child lawfully adopted by a United States citizen and spouse while such citizen is serving abroad in the United States Armed Forces, or is employed abroad by the United States Government, or is temporarily abroad on business, shall be valid until such time, for a period not to exceed three years, as the adoptive citizen parent returns to the United States in due course of his service, employment, or business. A nonimmigrant visa shall be valid for such periods as shall be by regulations prescribed. In prescribing the period of validity of a nonimmigrant visa in the case of nationals of any foreign country who are eligible for such visas, the Secretary of State shall, insofar as practicable, accord to such nationals the same treatment upon a reciprocal basis as such foreign country accords to nationals of the United States who are within a similar class; except that in the case of aliens who are nationals of a foreign country and who either are granted refugee status and firmly resettled in another foreign country or are granted permanent residence and residing in another foreign country, the Secretary of State may prescribe the period of validity of such a visa based upon the treatment granted by that other foreign country to alien refugees and permanent residents, respectively, in the United States. An immigrant visa may be replaced under the original number during the fiscal year in which the original visa was issued for an immigrant who establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he was unable to use the original immigrant visa during the period of its validity because of reasons beyond his control and for which he was not responsible: Provided, That the immigrant is found by the consular officer to be eligible for an immigrant visa and the immigrant pays again the statutory fees for an application and an immigrant visa.

(d) Physical examination
Prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa to any alien, the consular officer shall require such alien to submit to a physical and mental examination in accordance with such regulations as may be prescribed. Prior to the issuance of a nonimmigrant visa to any alien, the consular officer may require such alien to submit to a physical or mental examination, or both, if in his opinion such examination is necessary to ascertain whether such alien is eligible to receive a visa.

(e) Surrender of visa
Each immigrant shall surrender his immigrant visa to the immigration officer at the port of entry, who shall endorse on the visa the date and the port of arrival, the identity of the vessel or other means of transportation by which the immigrant arrived, and such other endorsements as may be by regulations required.

(f) Surrender of documents
Each nonimmigrant shall present or surrender to the immigration officer at the port of entry such documents as may be by regulation required. In the case of an alien crewman not in possession of any individual documents other than a passport and until such time as it becomes practicable to issue individual documents, such alien crewman may be admitted, subject to the provisions of this part, if his name appears in the crew list of the vessel or aircraft on which he arrives and the crew list is visaed by a consular officer, but the consular officer shall have the right to deny admission to any alien crewman from the crew list visa.

(g) Nonissuance of visas or other documents
No visa or other documentation shall be issued to an alien if
(1) it appears to the consular officer, from statements in the application, or in the papers submitted therewith, that such alien is ineligible to receive a visa or such other documentation under section 1182 of this title, or any other provision of law,
(2) the application fails to comply with the provisions of this chapter, or the regulations issued thereunder, or
(3) the consular officer knows or has reason to believe that such alien is ineligible to receive a visa or such other documentation under section 1182 of this title, or any other provision of law: Provided, That a visa or other documentation may be issued to an alien who is within the purview of section 1182 (a)(4) of this title, if such alien is otherwise entitled to receive a visa or other documentation, upon receipt of notice by the consular officer from the Attorney General of the giving of a bond or undertaking providing indemnity as in the case of aliens admitted under section 1183 of this title: Provided further, That a visa may be issued to an alien defined in section 1101 (a)(15)(B) or (F) of this title, if such alien is otherwise entitled to receive a visa, upon receipt of a notice by the consular officer from the Attorney General of the giving of a bond with sufficient surety in such sum and containing such conditions as the consular officer shall prescribe, to insure that at the expiration of the time for which such alien has been admitted by the Attorney General, as provided in section 1184 (a) of this title, or upon failure to maintain the status under which he was admitted, or to maintain any status subsequently acquired under section 1258 of this title, such alien will depart from the United States.

(h) Nonadmission upon arrival
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to entitle any alien, to whom a visa or other documentation has been issued, to be admitted [1] the United States, if, upon arrival at a port of entry in the United States, he is found to be inadmissible under this chapter, or any other provision of law. The substance of this subsection shall appear upon every visa application.

(i) Revocation of visas or documents
After the issuance of a visa or other documentation to any alien, the consular officer or the Secretary of State may at any time, in his discretion, revoke such visa or other documentation. Notice of such revocation shall be communicated to the Attorney General, and such revocation shall invalidate the visa or other documentation from the date of issuance: Provided, That carriers or transportation companies, and masters, commanding officers, agents, owners, charterers, or consignees, shall not be penalized under section 1323 (b) of this title for action taken in reliance on such visas or other documentation, unless they received due notice of such revocation prior to the alien’s embarkation. There shall be no means of judicial review (including review pursuant to section 2241 of title 28 or any other habeas corpus provision, and sections 1361 and 1651 of such title) of a revocation under this subsection, except in the context of a removal proceeding if such revocation provides the sole ground for removal under section 1227 (a)(1)(B) of this title..

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Section 451, act June 28, 1940, ch. 439, title III, § 30, 54 Stat. 673, required an alien seeking entry into United States to be registered and fingerprinted before the issuance to him of a visa. See sections 1201 (b) and 1301 of this title.

--------------------

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Lev 24:22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.

God indicates in His Law that we out to have the same law for the alien, and that law have been there always for them. The Ten Commandments where the Law for the Alies in the Old Testaemnt. The Unites State Have also a LAW concerning intering here illegaly! God have establish this law! You know that! So according to this verse they need to fallow the law of the land, and they are not.

quote:
Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger as for one of your own country - Equal laws, where each individual receives the same protection and the same privileges, are the boast only of a sound political constitution. He who respects and obeys the laws has a right to protection and support, and his person and property are as sacred in the sight of justice as the person and property of the prince. He who does not obey the laws of his country forfeits all right and title to protection and privilege; his own actions condemn him, and justice takes him up on the evidence of his own transgressions. He who does what is right need not fear the power of the civil magistrate, for he holds the sword only to punish transgressors. Universal obedience to the laws is the duty of every citizen; none can do more, none should do less: therefore each individual in a well regulated state must have equal rights and privileges in every thing that relates to the safety of his person, and the security of his property.

--------------------

ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do worry at the attitude against immigrants that seems to be increasing - both here in the UK and from what I read, in the US as well. I believe as Christians we should be at the forefront of helping people who come to our countries in need, not condeming and making their plight worse.
Leviticus 19, vs 33-34
"'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God."

Leviticus 24 vs 22 says: You are to have the same law for the alien and the native-born. I am the LORD your God.

I have visited quite a few countries in South and Central America and believe me, we don't thnk God enough for just how rich we are and how good our living conditions are. We cannot blame people for wanting to improve their lives and the lives of their children.

(Thanks to biblegateway.com for the cut'n'paste verses)

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Mac, which is why this little one of mine has been mowing our yard (about 5 acres) with a push mower, [Big Grin] and working in the garage and mending fence posts [BooHoo] and today was up at 6 AM to work with her dad and she will be working till she finds a job, and not for the almost $8.00 an hour that she would have been making cleaning rooms either!

She already wishes that she had just gone back to the hotel, but they filled her spot with someone who was very pleased to be getting that 8.00 and hour and the real hard part is yet to come if she does not get a job soon because she goes away on her annual urban mission trip in July and she usually has quite a nice little bank account saved up for when they stop in Minneapolis at the Mall of America, but she is not going to have that this year.

Nothing wrong with a little GI! Yes, sometimes it is hard to be hard. Dez is such a sweet kid, a real good girl and we almost never have to be hard with her, she never gets into trouble, so this is especially hard, but we all have to suffer the consequences of our decisions.

We have raised each of our kids to have a good work ethic, and made them to pay for their own car insurance and gas and repairs etc and keep a savings and give to the church and such, but this one got a little full of herself because all year the manager of the local Pizza Hut has been telling her he wants her to work for him this year (I would not let her work during school) and she thought that would be more fun. Her sister worked there before and made great tips and loved the people contact. Dez also loves the people contact and had a hard time last year working pretty much alone and housekeeping is monotonous.

I felt that she should stay where she was because the Hotel had been so good with her last year, and worked around her being gone for missions and for church camp and they even kept her on late into the season when business was winding back down again. She was like the last housekeeper they let go at the end of the year because they liked her work. That was my opinion, but the decision was hers to make. And she made it. When her old boss called to see if she was coming back she said no. But when school was out the Pizza Hut who had been courting her all year was not hiring yet at the Pizza Hut as the summer business has been slow because of gas prices.

We live in a very small town so summer jobs are a premium and when the older ones come home from college they also snap up any left over ones that were not filled before school was out. Most of Dez's friends went back to their old jobs from last year.. so she is like the only one not working... which is really not cool either.

I think she has gained some humility and some wisdom through this; and she is certainly living with the consequinces....hopefully she will find something before too long.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

The mentality of "Dont force a person to do something they donk like" is beyong sometimes my mind. We parents are guilty in part in this kind of behavior, we dont teach our children to work and to be responsable.! We find many excuses but that is the reality, lazyness is a fashion today. Dad and Mom will be there for me no matter what!!

My wife tells me that I am too GI with my kids and I tell her how can I not be! Look at my sister kids, look at your friends kids even some of the christian family the body!. Training a child was never address by the Lord that it was going to be easy, we most look as adult that the Lord deals with in the same manner training us daily.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is certainly an interesting thought. It may be that this does account to some degree for the numbers.

But, I have to tell you though my personal experience is that it is not so much a situation of not being enough people to work as it is not being enough people who want to do the work that needs to be done.

Most immigrants are willing to work longer and harder and to do tasks that many Americans do not want to do.

I am angry right now with my own high schooler who does not have a summer job right now, because she did not return to the job that she had last summer as a housekeeper at a local hotel. She did not want to do that kind of work. So.. right now she is not working and has missed 2 weeks of paychecks that could have been her's in her bank account right now.. if she did not have a wrong attitude about work. There is nothing wrong with wanting something better... but to be without work because you dont want to do the work that is there??? This is wrong!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 17 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why So Many 'Unwanted Jobs?'

The recent immigration protests, including the boycotts and demonstrations, have focused attention on a growing problem in America. There aren't enough workers to do the menial jobs.

That's what the administration says is the main reason for creating a 'guest-worker' program. The 'Day Without Latinos' protest was supposed to highlight the same problem.

The idea was to show America what life would be like if we had to cut our own lawns. The protest fizzled, (we just cut our own lawns or let the grass grow) but they still got the point across.

America is largely dependent on immigrant labor to do the entry-level jobs that used to be the exclusive province of high-school kids.

Nevada Democrat Harry Reid voiced his concern that Las Vegas' tourist industry would be devastated without access to cheap illegal immigrant labor.

California Democrat Barbara Feinstein was so concerned about the potential labor shortage introduced a bill that would have legalized all illegal immigrants, regardless of how long they have lived here. The bill was (thankfully) defeated.

But everybody is talking around the point. WHY is there a labor shortage for entry level jobs? WHY does America need millions and millions of warm bodies to fill these jobs? Where are the high-school kids that used to fill them?

America is reaping the benefits of thirty years of unrestricted abortion. The Bible teaches that children are a gift to their parents from God.

The Psalmist wrote; "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. (Psalms 127:3-5)

The liberals complain that there are millions of 'unwanted jobs' in America, and that fact justifies the illegal invasion of workers from the south.

These are the same liberals who used to chant slogans about 'unwanted babies'.

Author: Hal Lindsey

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement