Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Court magistrate studying first test case of Orissa anti-conversion law

Author Topic: Court magistrate studying first test case of Orissa anti-conversion law
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jailed Pastor in India Released on Bail
Court magistrate studying first test case of Orissa anti-conversion law.
by Vishal Arora

DELHI, July 16 (Compass) -- Pastor Subas Samal of Kilipal village in the state of Orissa, India, and his associate, Dhaneshwar Kandi, were released on bail July 14, after spending more than six weeks in jail for alleged violation of the state’s anti-conversion law.

Arrested on May 29, Samal and Kandi were charged with “conversion by inducement” under the Orissa Freedom of Religion Act (OFRA). Several other accusations were brought against them by Hindus from their village.

Justice A.S. Naidu granted conditional bail to the defendants on July 10, opening the way for their release.

“In the jail, I was taunted by other prisoners that I converted people from lower economic and social backgrounds by offering them money,” Samal told Compass. He said even some of the jail personnel ridiculed him.

“All the charges against me are false and fabricated,” he added. “I have been working for the last 10 years in the village and not even a single person who attends my prayer meetings and fellowships has ever complained to anyone about any allurement or force from my side.

“However, some of the relatives of those who have accepted Christianity have levied charges against me and others.”

“We are very happy that Pastor Samal and Dhaneshwar Kandi have been granted bail and are released,” said the Rev. Sonathan Mohanty, pastor of the Church on Mount Zion in Bhubaneswar. “Now, we are looking for (sponsors to post bail) for the five Christian women who were also accused along with them.”

Samal, Kandi and the Christian women were charged under three laws: OFRA, the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes Prevention of Atrocities Act, and Sections 298, 294, and 506 of the Indian Penal Code. Charges ranged from “harming the religious sensitivities of a person” to “obscene acts committed in a public place” and “criminal intimidation.”

On February 10, Hindu villagers forcibly shaved the heads of Samal and six local Christian women to mark their “re-conversion” to Hinduism. Six Hindu villagers were arrested in connection with the incident on May 3, prompting the arrest of Samal and Kandi in retaliation.

The High Court of Orissa granted anticipatory bail to the Christian women on June 1, thereby preventing their arrest. However, the magistrate of the Sub-Division Court insisted on carefully studying the case file on Samal and Kandi before granting their bail appeal because theirs is the first case brought under the anti-conversion law.

Orissa High Court lawyer Bibhu Prasad Tripathi is defending the accused Christians. “Pastor Samal and Kandi have been granted conditional bail,” Tripathi said. “The court order says they shall not indulge in any criminal or similar activities, and must appear in the police station each Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. for two months, failing which their bail will be cancelled with immediate effect.”

Following the February 10 incident, the women who suffered the forced head-shaving fled Kilipal with their families and sought temporary shelter in the Church on Mount Zion in the state capital of Bhubaneswar. Christians there said the atmosphere in Kilipal village is no longer tense and expect Samal, Kandi and the Christian women to return to their homes within 10 to 12 days.

“We are making arrangements for sending the victims back to the village as the atmosphere in Kilipal seems relaxed now,” Mohanty said.

“However, we do not know what condition their houses are in and if a repair is needed,” he added. “And then they need money for living expenses, because they had no work while they were in the temporary accommodation in Bhubaneswar.”
Mohanty also said that after the victims return to Kilipal, they want to negotiate a peaceful solution to the conflict between Christians and Hindus in the village.

Meanwhile, Samal and Kandi said they are growing in their faith in Christ, despite the hardships they face.

“I would not be able to endure all this for a friend or a relative, but because Lord Jesus suffered for me much more than what I am going through, I am able to suffer for Him,” Samal said.

“My faith has grown after I suffered for Jesus,” Kandi added. “I will always be willing to suffer for Christ who suffered for me.”

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement