Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Hate-Crimes Law Worries Pastors

Author Topic: Hate-Crimes Law Worries Pastors
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is only a matter of time before it is going to be against the law to say anything against a homosexual. I was asked at another board if it is a sin and when I said that the Bible said yes, you would not believe the hateful things that were said to me. If you say anything is a sin anymore you are a radical.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this litigious society, a pastor needs a good umbrella policy anyway. Anything I say, in or out of context, from the pulpit or in counseling, might become the basis for a lawsuit, however frivolous. If, after counseling, I suggest a couple is not ready for marriage and they subsequently break up, either or both may file suit against me for alienation of affection. One couple allowed their animals to roam free on their property and a kitten got under my foot while I went down the stairs after a visit. The kitten was OK but I broke my finger on the hand-rail while falling. Who do you think gets told, "Good thing you didn't squash the cat; I'da had to sue..."? People seem to want to be offended and our society encourages that. I can't be any more worried about getting sued for preaching out against any for of sexual perversion than I can be concerned about visiting shut-ins. Every day is offers a new risk; the pastor should be prudent (hence the need for a good insurance policy), but cannot worry about what will happen. A preacher is called to preach the Good News in its fullness, not hedge or pull punches out of fear.

BTW, during the last sermon I preached on the topic of sexual immorality we had visitors. They didn't return. I wonder... [Wink]

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate-Crimes Law Worries Pastors

A religious liberty group is trying to reassure Pennsylvania pastors who fear they could face prosecution under a new law if they preach against homosexuality. "It is a measure of our times that religious leaders have lately considered taking out liability insurance to cover remarks made from the pulpit" ...
Read entire article.....
Click Here

It should do more the just worries Pastors. We need to start preaching the truth from the Pulpit, not just want the Goverment wants us to say. We follow Jesus Christ, not the US goverment.

~ David Campbell

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement