Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » E-mail hoax in the news

Author Topic: E-mail hoax in the news
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate hoaxes. I fell for one today... and apparently Yahoo did as well ( http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040519/234/726q1.html ). There's a hoax going around that Andy Kaufman (the comedian who was on the tv show Taxi, and wrestled against Jerry "The King" Lawler) really had faked his death, set up a website, and is popping up around the US's Starbucks and Wal-Marts.

Now, normally, Yahoo news is reputable... they usually get their news from the AP network, or whatnot. But this time, they got this story from something called PRWeb (who apparently will release a press release from anyone for free)... and they printed it.

It was only through Snopes that I found out it was a fake.

It's a shame people get such a kick by lying. They've seared their conscience so much they see nothing wrong with it.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see that one roll around every few months and always refer the sender to this site: Snopes Urban Legends Page
...and it's one of the few times I hit the "reply all" button:)

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spurgeon
Advanced Member
Member # 3401

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Spurgeon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hoax about Madalyn Murray O'Hair.
It is currently making the rounds over the internet once again. There is no FCC petition to remove Christian broadcasting from the air, and this hoax is designed to congest internet traffic.

Here's a link to the news story:
http://michnews.com/artman/publish/article_3748.shtml

God Bless.

Posts: 39 | From: Cookeville, TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement