Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Employee Fired for Commandments Pin

Author Topic: Employee Fired for Commandments Pin
Spurgeon
Advanced Member
Member # 3401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spurgeon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if someone came to work wearing a US flag lapel pin? Isn't that a political statement?

[Frown]

Posts: 39 | From: Cookeville, TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Foundation for Morala Law... (web site)
quote:
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – May 19, 2004 -- Statement by former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy S. Moore regarding the firing of Christopher Word, membership services director of the Hoover Chamber of Commerce, for wearing a Ten Commandments lapel pin.

“The Hoover Chamber of Commerce should be embarrassed and ashamed to force a young man like Christopher Word to choose between his faith and his job. This demonstrates the perilous times in which we live. We are fortunate to have men like Christopher who stand firm in the face of tyranny and will not surrender their right to acknowledge God.”

The Foundation urges you to call the Hoover Chamber of commerce 205-988-5672 (www.hooverchamber.org) to express your disgust.

...and from "The World Around You" website:
quote:
May 20, 2004
Man Fired for Moore Remarks, Not Pin
The Hoover Chamber of Commerce held a press conference yesterday to clarify the reasoning behind the termination of Christopher Word.

"This termination was not about religion or Christopher's particular beliefs in support of Judge Moore, as the chamber is not against religion or Judge Moore," Bolt said.

"Rather, Christopher was terminated for making political statements while he was in the course and scope of his employment."

Bolt said Word made statements in support of Moore in the presence of Chamber Executive Director Bill Powell and chamber member Don Levy during a meeting last week at the advertising firm owned by Levy.

"By that action, Christopher crossed the political line," Bolt said.

Mr. Word held a competing press conference with Roy Moore in attendance. If the cameras are around, Roy is there, running his mouth.
"The Hoover Chamber of Commerce should be embarrassed and ashamed to force a young man like Christopher Word to chose between his faith and his job," Moore said.

"This demonstrates the perilous times in which we live. We are fortunate to have men like Christopher who stand firm in the face of tyranny and will not surrender their right to acknowledge God," the former chief justice said.

As I said yesterday, I doubt people in this state will see it, but this is what happens when you get religion into politics. There are lots of people who, as part of their job, must remain politically neutral. This was not about religion, it was about politics. Who is to blame for bringing the Ten Commandments into the political arean, Roy Moore. So he has no one to accuse but himself for this unfortunate circumstance.

Fired for making a political statement? Yeah, right, uh huh, [Roll Eyes] ... Who's this guy trying to convince, the public or himself?

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On now, this is truly Abhorrent.

I guess, the people screaming “Religious Freedom”, only mean, “Freedom from Christian”

It is becoming a sad, sad world, don’t you all think?

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 9 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Employee Fired for Commandments Pin

Christopher Word – who attends the same church as "Ten Commandments judge" Roy Moore – said his boss, Hoover, Ala., Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Bill Powell, confronted him Monday after a weekly staff meeting, the Birmingham News reported. Word said he was told, "I could either take it off or I have got to go." ...
Read on...

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement