Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Would canadian law outlaw part of bible

Author Topic: Would canadian law outlaw part of bible
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several months ago, I saw a very moving interview on TBN with a Swedish minister who described how religious free speech is becoming more and more restricted in Scandinavia, to the extent that pastors will soon not be able to preach against active homosexuality, or even state that it is a sin. This is due to the passage of hate speech laws there, similar to those already enacted in Canada.

The following excerpts demonstrate the effects this type of legislation is having in some European countries.

=====================================
Swedish Evangelical Alliance President Stefan Gustavsson said, "Pastors may fear to be outspoken [on homosexuality] in [the] future … being tried in court is clearly unpleasant."

Swedish Chancellor of Justice, Göran Lambertz, said any reference to the Bible stating that homosexuality is sinful might be a criminal offense, and a Pentecostal minister is already facing charges.

On April 14, 2003 a teacher, Chris Kempling, was suspended without pay by the British Columbia College of Teachers (BCCT) for writing a letter against homosexuals to the editor of a local newspaper in British Columbia

In Britain, police investigated Anglican Bishop Peter Forster of Chester after he told a local paper: "Some people who are primarily homosexual can reorientate themselves. I would encourage them to consider that as an option." Police sent a copy of his remarks to prosecutors, but the case was dropped.

In Ireland last August, the Irish Council for Civil Liberties warned that clergy who circulated a Vatican statement opposing gay marriages could face prosecution under incitement-to-hatred legislation.

Unfortunately, I don't think America is too far behind this trend.

Sources:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/040419/opinion/19john.htm
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/009/15.22.html

Posts: 90 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdet
First Post
Member # 3089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is also possible that in the future the same can happen here in America. With the push for calling any kind of intolerance towards the homosexual lifestyle to be considered hatred, I believe that even preachers preaching directly from God's word could be said to be preaching hate speech.
Yesterday someone replied to a post that the etire Bible is nothing but hate speech.

Posts: 1 | From: WA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bro. Greg
Advanced Member
Member # 2943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bro. Greg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, Canada will be one of the first countries to make Christianity illegal period. I believe it is not long off either. I read an article not long ago that the Canadain Government refused to allow a Christian minister to take part in a memorial service for people in a plane crash or something while allowing a Rabbi, Muslim, and a Budist to take part for the people in their particular religion. Although, the Christian was not allowed to speak and was threatened with imprisionment. Folks, keep and eye on Canada. A storm is brewing in that country!

--------------------
Isaiah 5:20(KJV) 20Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Bro. Greg
In and By His Grace
http://www.mychristiansite.com/ministries/pass_it_on

Posts: 527 | From: Montana, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borntwice
Advanced Member
Member # 2761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borntwice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would Canadian Law Outlaw Part Of Bible?

POSTED: 12:11 p.m. EST April 1, 2004

BURLINGTON, Ontario -- In Canada, it may soon be illegal to teach that gay sex is sinful, some say.

The director of the International Bible Society Canada, Donald Brooker, says the Canadian Senate could soon add gays and lesbians to the groups protected by laws against "hate propaganda."

Brooker says that could outlaw verses in the Bible that condemn homosexual behavior.

If the bill becomes law, as expected, Canada's Supreme Court may have to decide if gay rights are more important than religious liberty.

Brooker noted that Canadian judges have already ruled that the nation's constitution gives gays and lesbians the right to marry.
http://www.click2houston.com/family/2966999/detail.html

Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement