Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Recent Changes in Church Membership

Author Topic: Recent Changes in Church Membership
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard similar complaints about some AoG churches, but I don't know why that is. Although my uncle had been a pastor there for many years, my aunt wasn't able to get someone from his former AoG church to officiate at his funeral. It wasn't a particularly large congregation either, so I don't really understand what the problem was.
Posts: 90 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After moving last Sept from Texas to Washington State, we found out about several Churches. I came from an Assembly of God background but we were not made welcome at the local Assembly of God Churches. The Baptist Churches were more welcoming to us. Even there the first two Baptist Churches did not care whether we came or not. But the fourth Church we went to (Sylvan Way Baptist) made us feel welcome. When we missed they actually came and visited us.

I think too often Churches don't make the effort to get new people.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel S:
... did you notice that the denominations losing the most are the ones which used to be strong on faith and holiness and now have gone the way of Sodom?

Dan S

Exactly, and unless some changes are made, I'm sure their membership losses will pick up even more in light of recent events.
Posts: 90 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting web-site Bob. I especially liked the future predictor [biglaugha]

Welcome aboard. You'll probably see some fire-fights here, but not like you did in the Redcatcher.

As for your post... Good points, but did you notice that the denominations losing the most are the ones which used to be strong on faith and holiness and now have gone the way of Sodom?

Dan S

PS: I like the tag "Aimhigherbooks" too. My regimental affiliation is with the 62d Artillery whose motto in English is "We aim at high things." [pound]

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
One of His sheep
Advanced Member
Member # 3076

Icon 12 posted      Profile for One of His sheep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do notice that the churches with the most growth are the ones that are actively evangelizing. (Some not in a good way either, cults). The rest of Christianity ought to wake up, and get off their couches and do something. That's just my two cents.

--------------------
Unique Christian Adventure books
http://www.aimhigherbooks.com

Posts: 31 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

I found this report on the National Council of Churches website, Report of March 10, 2004, "Top 25 Churches List Now Includes 4 Pentecostal Bodies" which shows recent changes in church membership for the years 2001-2002. In light of recent current events, I can only imagine what next year's report will show.

Recording membership losses were: The United Methodist Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod), African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church and United Church of Christ.

From 2001-2002, major U.S. churches that grew included: the Catholic Church, Southern Baptist Convention, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Assemblies of God, American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A., Jehovah’s Witnesses and Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.).

U.S. Membership Denominational Ranking: Largest 25 Denominations

1. The Catholic Church - 66,407,105

2. Southern Baptist Convention - 16,247,736

3. The United Methodist Church - 8,251,042

4. The Church of God in Christ - 5,499,875

5. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - 5,410,544

6. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America - 5,038,006

7. National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc. - 5,000,000

8. National Baptist Convention of America, Inc. - 3,500,000

9. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - 3,407,329

10. Assemblies of God - 2,687,366

11. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod - 2,512,714

12. African Methodist Episcopal Church - 2,500,000

13. National Missionary Baptist Convention of America - 2,500,000

14. Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc. - 2,500,000

15. The Episcopal Church - 2,333,628

16. Churches of Christ, Corsicana, Texas - 1,500,000

17. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - 1,500,000

18. Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc. - 1,500,000

19. American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A. - 1,484,291

20. African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church - 1,430,795

21. United Church of Christ - 1,330,985

22. Baptist Bible Fellowship International - 1,200,000

23. Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, Joplin, Mo. - 1,071,616

24. Jehovah’s Witnesses - 1,022,397

25. Church of God, Cleveland, Tenn., - 944,857

http://www.ncccusa.org/news/04yearbook.html

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement