Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Austrailian College Bans Potter

Author Topic: Austrailian College Bans Potter
RioLion
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Born Again, I reallly loved that comment about iron filings. The next time I correspond with her, I will tell her that is my position.

[pound]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RioLion says
quote:
She has experienced seeing gold dust on herself during prayer services. I often wonder if God really does things like that.
I only get iron filings on me while talking on this board.

Proverbs 27
17 Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN [Cross]
"Can we talk?"

RioLion
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reference on "The Gospel according to Harry Potter" by Connie Neal is appreciated. At present I am reading her book "The Gospel According to Harry Potter".

One indicator for the Christian should be the testimony or warning from the indwelling Holy Spirit as to whether or not God approves of what we read. In my case, I enjoyed reading the first 4 Harry Potter books and was not really disturbed with any of them to any extent.The 4th book, somewhat bothered me because of the violence, but really did not get the feeling that these books really were of evil or promoted witchcraft or the occult.

Not that we should rely on feelings. It is true that our primary guide should be the Bible, but having read that book at least 13 times from cover to cover, I recall nothing in there that God would censor any of the Potter books.

The other books you mentioned - CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia - I have also read, and TRR Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings, in my opinion is really in the same class - fantasy. But I would suppose that for someone that would come from those types of religion families where they see a demon behind every tree, there would be problems. I recently corresponded with a lady from Australia that claims she was delivered out of the occult. She detests the Potter books; howbeit, is now involved with the so-called Toronto Blessing and has experienced seeing gold dust on herself during prayer services. I often wonder if God really does things like that; as it is not in my experiences with the Lord. [wiggle7]

Erin Michelle
First Post
Member # 2050

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Erin Michelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not to start any fights but...

I have read a lot of articles about the comparisons of the Harry Potter books and some Christian themes. In the Harry Potter books, there is a good side ad a bad side. It's just a fight between good and evil. Nothing more.

Now, let me ask you this... what do you think about the Lord of the Rings books, or the Chronicles of Narina? Do you think those books are okay? Becuase they're a lot like the Harry Poter books.

If you don't believe me, here is a good article I think you should read.

Posts: 1 | From: Rochester, Minnesota | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RioLion
unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently there is a growing fear among Christian churches on the spread of witchcraft / Wicca to the point that anything the smacks of the occult is suspect. Wicca is one of the fastest growing religions of our day, particularly in Europe and is a competitor of the Christian faith. There are even schools that one can take correspondence courses on Wicca (see www.wicca.org)

Harry Potter, which depicts the fantasy of witchcraft and wizardary, will continue to be condemned. Howbeit, book burning (down here in New Mexico) and censorship will certainly increase interest and thus sales of the books. It is my understanding that even Shakepeares books are becoming suspect. These kinds of thing leads to a wierd kind of mania not seen before.

But there are Christian leaders and educators who take a different view of Harry Potter, see both sides of the issues, enjoy the books, and/or recommend the books. Unfortunately, almost no attention has been given these differing viewpoints. I am presently reading "The Gospel According to Harry Potter" by Connie Neal, a Christian educator and youth leader. Of the Harry Potter books, the author states that she sees "more useful parallels to the gospel than almost any other piece of popular literature I have seen in decades". So far, I find the book interesting.

I have just finished reading "Harry Potter and the Bible" by Richard Abanes. He reviews each of the Harry Potter books and comments on the various aspects of what he considers to be promotional of witchcraft. He condemns the various characters of the Potter books for their lying, cheating, and breaking the rules. And then goes on to describe what constitutes the various facets of witchcraft and sorcery. In my opinion, he fails to make the case that the books actually promote witchcraft. It is one thing to view a fantasy book that has an element of the occult or witchcraft and another to relate historically and scriptural to these subjects. In fact, I view Abanes books as being more informative on witchcraft, wizardary and sorcery than the Potter books as he lists websites that actually promote witchcraft. Some of the amazon.com reviews are very negative.

One of the problems we face in this issue is that many of the commentators on these books have not read them at all but are simply regurigated the views of those that condemn the books. We may as Christians, prove to be the fools in these matters in the eyes of educated and mentally solid people similarly to the views that some had of Proctor-Gamble having an occult sign on their products.

The Potter books are even being read to children in our public schools and many will walk away believing that Christains are becoming more narrow-minded than ever before. It is better to teach our children about witchcraft and warn them of its dangers than to try to keep them ignorant of such things.

The Potter books are here to stay and will be read by children for decades to come. Whether more will get into the occult because of Harry Potter remains to be seen. And how we as Christian parents will be viewed, may be yet another matter.

promises
Advanced Member
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for promises     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when the Potter books first came out and everyone was razzing "fundies" for being so hysterical over a children's book. Now as I walk through the bookstore I can't help but notice the stacks of Harry Potter spellbooks and Harry Potter Spell-A-Day calandars and Harry Potter Wizard Dressup Kits. If you are still unconcerned, you might wish to go to Amazon.com and check out The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter. You can preview the 1st 35 pages of the book. It's a real eyeopener for someone who may not wish their child practicing, say palmistry, for example.

--------------------
His Alone

Posts: 144 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salti
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful what you consider to be "harmless fun" I would much rather my children read edifying Godly things than anything else. Sure, its just fairy tales. But we serve only ONE God. Why give glory to any other ideas? It is the acceptance of such that has led to the advance of the new age movement.

Young children especially put great belief in the things they read or hear. I have a friend whose 10 yr old daughter told us one day that "whiches arent really bad, they are just misunderstood. They do good things with their spells, not bad stuff" After she questioned the child as to where she got that idea, the child stated that she learned it on scooby doo.

If a parent is to have to explain to a child that the facts presented within what they read or watch are false and ungodly, then why even allow them to read or watch it to begin with?

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand if you are a person that does not have a new heart and does not hold the word of God as been truth, I do understand that! But if you are a child of God what profited you in reading a book that in no way or form and instruction give honor and praise to a God that you believed to be you Savior.

Do you want for your children’s to read? Read them the bible in a manner of story! There are great books out there for children to read. The problem is that the word of God is to judgmental and to boring and kids need something to call their attentions. Like most people said “that book is inoffensive”?

The serpent was also inoffensive and causes great cursing upon us.!

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aingeal
Member # 1953

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Aingeal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe some people who are so afraid of childrens books! I have read them, my neices and nephews have too. They aren't about to run and join a coven (witchcraft group) or grotto (satanist group)! There has been NO PROOF whatsoever that children "get into" the occult by reading Harry Potter books. NONE! You know I recall reading books similar to this as a kid...they were stories about King Arthur and the roubd table. Granted not one particular author wrote about King Arthur, but they ARE on similar lines. And THEY didn't cause me to get into the occult. These books are making kids WANT to shut off their video games and READ! What is so bad about that?? I think of it this way, they want to read, and if their parents are smart, will get them a children's bible or other material to help strengthen their personal relationship with God. Again, what's wrong with that?

--------------------
Let go and let God.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phaze
Advanced Member
Member # 1688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see that some people have their priorities straight. Let's hope this kind of censorship becomes contagious.

--------------------
Don't be a doubting Thomas

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australian college bans Potter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3038434.stm

A Christian college in Australia has become the latest institution to ban the Harry Potter books for putting "evil" wizardry in a good light.

Maranatha Christian College near Melbourne said the books promoted wizardry as normal - not a message to which students should be exposed.
A string of other schools around the world have taken the same step in recent years.

Principal Bert Langerak said: "As Christians, witchcraft and the occult are considered evil.

"It has been widely publicised that many children have tried to cast spells as a result of reading the books, and that is not a view we want held."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement