Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Most Americans Say Old-Fashioned Spanking is Acceptable

Author Topic: Most Americans Say Old-Fashioned Spanking is Acceptable
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Americans Say Old-Fashioned Spanking is Acceptable; & Many Helpful Scriptures to Print Out on Discipline

Weekend News Today

Lead: Faith
Source: Sun-Sentinel South Florida News

Fri Sep 27,2002 --

Sept. 26 Spanking used to be a common and acceptable way for parents to discipline an out-of-control child. Now it's the subject of a national debate. What do you think?

85.3%...Yes. If done correctly, and in the correct situations, spanking is an appropriate form of discipline for children. (2597 responses)

14.7%...No. It is never proper to hit a child for any reason. (448 responses)
3045 total responses....Results of recent Sun-Sentinel news poll

Editor's Note: It sure is great to see people sticking with the Bible ways, regardless what psychologists and liberals try to theorize into it. God's ways are way better than man's way, since He made us and loves us, and knows His creation best, and what works best to guide us along in the short journey of life on earth. Remember that it's not just the discipline God sees as important, but it's very important that we all learn from our own discipline we've received through life and through God in our walk with the Lord.

We all need to teach our children to learn from their discipline just as we have had to do in our own lives. It's that important learning from correction that brings about great blessings in the end. There's always a silver lining. Correct discipline out of LOVE for children is God's way. [Smile]

I prayed for God to show us all some very helpful Scriptures we could all print out and read in our families, so we could teach our children the right ways of God and all we can all learn from it. Families can read Scriptures together, before or after the discipline, so children will finally start to really UNDERSTAND why discipline God's way is so important and necessary. What a blessing that added part would be to all families...teaching it God's way. Then, hug your child afterwards, and let them know you love them, and that's why you discipline them...because you care so much how they turn out. That's true love. [Smile] Many 'discipline' Scriptures are below. God bless you as you follow the Lord's way, instead of man's, as God shows through the Scripture the great results of not giving in to the world, but sticking with it.

So, give yourself a break, and don't expect perfect results everytime, or in the beginning, but most of all we all need to be more consistent. Remember, no one is perfect, but God. So, ask Him to help you and your family to do things the right way, God's precious ways that lead to the best end results.

And especially keep LOVE involved in your family. Discipline with TEACHING, and out of great LOVE for your child, knowing they may not always understand it now, but God's Words and moral teaching alongwith the discipline will eventually one day be understood by them.

We all need to submit our family lives to God, and He'll be there through it all, helping us along the way. We can all learn from these Scriptures. So, here you go:

Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Sometimes we don't always see the results immediately, but eventually they'll come shining through.)
*Hebrew 12:5 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons.

For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!

Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 12:1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

Proverbs 23:13-14 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.

Proverbs 10:17 He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.

Proverbs 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Proverbs 22:15 Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:22-24 Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding. The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.

Proverbs 13:18 He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.

Deuteronomy 8:5 Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you.

Job 5:17 "Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. For He wounds, but He also binds up; He injures, but His hands also heal.

Psalm 39:10-11 Remove your scourge from me; I am overcome by the blow of your hand. You rebuke and discipline men for their sin; you consume their wealth like a moth-each man is but a breath.

Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
Proverbs 15:5 A fool spurns his father's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

Jeremiah 32:33 They turned their backs to me and not their faces; though I taught them again and again, they would not listen or respond to discipline.

Proverbs 15:10 Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.

Proverbs 29:17 Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.

Psalm 94:8-15 Take heed, you senseless ones among the people; you fools, when will you become wise? Does he who implanted the ear not hear? Does he who formed the eye not see?

Does he who disciplines nations not punish? Does he who teaches man lack knowledge? The LORD knows the thoughts of man; he knows that they are futile. Blessed is the man you discipline, O LORD, the man you teach from your law; you grant him relief from days of trouble, till a pit is dug for the wicked.

For the LORD will not reject his people; he will never forsake his inheritance. Judgment will again be founded on righteousness, and all the upright in heart will follow it.

(Results of lack of discipline, and not wanting to learn from it) Proverbs 5:11-14 & 21-23 At the end of your life you will groan, when your flesh and body are spent. You will say, "How I hated discipline!

How my heart spurned correction! I would not obey my teachers or listen to my instructors. I have come to the brink of utter ruin in the midst of the whole assembly."....For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths. The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

Proverbs 15:32 He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

Proverbs 6:20-24 My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.

When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life, keeping you from the immoral woman, from the smooth tongue of the wayward wife.

Proverbs 9:12-13 If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer." The woman Folly is loud; she is undisciplined and without knowledge.
Jeremiah 32:33 They turned their backs to me and not their faces; though I taught them again and again, they would not listen or respond to discipline.

Hebrews 12:1-2 (God Disciplines His Sons) Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Revelation 3:19-20 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement