Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » 'Ecumenism' Exalted Over Jesus

Author Topic: 'Ecumenism' Exalted Over Jesus
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is so. take a look at the mainline religions that are part of this Ecumenism movement and at the heart of it the World Council of Churches! Read some of the things in those WCC posts that were posted a few weeks ago. It is frightening.

He sometimes appears as an angel of light!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inter-Faith 'Ecumenism' Exalted Over Jesus at Methodist Youth Camp

I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father, but by Me. (John 14:6)

Everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 10: 32, 33)

By Jim Brown and Jody Brown
August 16, 2002

(AgapePress) - A conservative Protestant leader is disturbed by a recent United Methodist youth camp in North Carolina that embraced universalism and included Islamic prayers.

The ecumenical camp earlier this month included about 30 Christian, Jewish, and Muslim boys ages 9 to 11, and promoted the idea that there are many acceptable ways to God. According to the United Methodist News Service, some of the Christian and Jewish boys even participated in Muslim prayer time.

That same report quotes the camp's director, a United Methodist pastor, as saying, "We've got to stop the next generation from being tainted with the bigotry and prejudice that our parents fed us" -- that "we're all on a journey to God, or Allah, and sometimes things get in the way" -- and "these are not 'stand-alone' religions but are continuations of the same divine message."

Mark Tooley
Mark Tooley is with the Institute on Religion and Democracy, an alliance of American Christians working to reform their churches’ social witness, in accord with biblical and historic Christian teachings. Tooley says the camp's leaders have a typical secular mindset that says to lift up the unique truthfulness of Christianity would be innately prejudicial or bigoted.

"I think it's very amusing and peculiar that liberal church people and liberal secular people who are so harshly critical of what they call 'fundamentalist Christianity' at the same time ... seem so eager to embrace Islam, which is far more restrictive and far more hostile to what liberals believe in," Tooley says. "So it's very sad that this kind of camp was held."

He says the gathering of young Muslim, Jewish, and Christian boys promoted the false notion that everyone is a child of God. "It's in essence an effort to pretend that there's no real difference between Christianity and Islam," Tooley says. "[The camp] may have been even deferential to Islam, while lacking the courage and the honesty to lift up Christianity as a valid option for all people."

Tooley says the camp could have been a positive event if it were arranged for Christian boys to share their faith and talk about what Christianity stands for. In contrast, camp organizers say the most difficult part of the camp was conforming to the dietary restrictions of the Muslim and Jewish campers.

© 2002 AgapePress all rights reserved

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement