Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » 19 Chinese miners trapped

Author Topic: 19 Chinese miners trapped
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday, 9 August, 2002, 08:09 GMT 09:09 UK
Chinese miner found alive
 -

Mining disasters are all too common in China

One man has been pulled alive from a mine shaft, five days after a fire trapped him and 18 other workers underground in a pit in the northern Shanxi province.
Hopes of finding any survivors had faded when high temperatures, thick smoke and carbon monoxide forced rescuers to turn back after starting down a 60-metre (200-ft) vertical rescue shaft, China's official Xinhua news agency said.

Initial investigations showed that the mine had no adequate safety systems and its owner, in order to evade safety checks, had ordered the miners to work secretly at night

Xinhua news agency

The miner was taken to hospital in a critical condition from the Chiyu mine in Huozhou, reports said.

Bodies were recovered of the other 18 miners, who were believed to have died of suffocation and carbon monoxide poisoning, Xinhua said.

Further south, in Hunan province, officials said many miners were trapped underground when floods and landslides struck, leading to fears of more deaths.

Correspondents say that China's mine industry is one of the world's deadliest as well as being one of the largest.

State radio reported that 143 people were killed in coal mine accidents in July alone, and official media said 7,000 died last year.

Police in Shanxi have arrested eight people, including the mine's manager, after the latest incident.

Fire still burning

The effects of the fire, believed to have been started by an electrical cable in the main shaft, were compounded by other problems, Xinhua said.

"Initial investigations showed that the mine had no adequate safety systems and its owner, in order to evade safety checks, had ordered the miners to work secretly at night," it said.

Fire continues to burn in the coal mine, which has now been sealed off.

The state has recently ordered unsafe mines to close, but this is not in the interests of the local authorities, who rely on the mines' revenue.

Analysts say that the government's pledge to jail the officials responsible for poor safety may actually lead to more accidents going unreported.

More than 12,000 mines have closed because of safety concerns since last May.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement