Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » 'Harry Potter' - Christian Alternative

Author Topic: 'Harry Potter' - Christian Alternative
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 16 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My feelings exactly Linda, WHY?
Linda states:

quote:
Why do we feel the need to look like the world?
I don't think we need "christian" alternatives to the things of the enemy. We need the Truth; We need Christ.

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Thats why we give up ESP. Halloween, its worldly, devilish, demonic, occultic. Nothing to do with God [YaHWeH] at all.

So the principal is the same..throw it out. For years weve had the "alternative" celebration in the church so our children would not feel "left out"...let us teach them the truth..and they will appreciate it later in life.

Susan states:
quote:
So you see, what may seem like harmless fun, can be detrimental. Not my rule, but God's. I for one am not going to question God's rules or His authority.

Keep up the good work Linda & Susan..amen [thumbsup]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote:

Likened by many to a modern day Narnia, this fast-paced and humorous novel is being marketed as a Christian alternative to the Harry Potter series.

Why do we feel the need to look like the world?
I don't think we need "christian" alternatives to the things of the enemy. We need the Truth; We need Christ.

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan
Advanced Member
Member # 131

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Susan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you are so right. This book sounds like a lie from the devil. It tickles the ears with a 'christian' twist to deceive.
Please, George, read:
Exodus 9:11 - (God caused the MAGICAINS to break out in boils)

Daniel 2:27 - No wise men, enchanters, magicians, or astrologers can show to the king the mystery.... but there is a God in Heaven who reveals mystery.

Acts 8:9 - Here Simon practiced magic and had many amazed. Both laymen and VIP's were captivated by it. Then the Word of God was proclaimed and Simon left the practice of magic, seeing that it was wrong and against God's will. All the people came to see this as well and turned from magic. They were baptised and concentrated on God thereafter.

I know it seems like just fun and play to have a book like that. But it is deceiving and can lure people away from God. Satan is called the father of deception. He is the prompter of that book and others like them. Who better to attack than children? Poison the mind gently while they are young and they will have a harder time finding God.

Proverbs 22:6 - Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

So you see, what may seem like harmless fun, can be detrimental. Not my rule, but God's. I for one am not going to question God's rules or His authority.

I hope this shed some light for you.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JOSH 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve Jehovah, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods whom your fathers that were on the other side of the river served, or the gods of the Amorite, in whose land ye dwell; but as for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah.

Magic or witchcraft of any kind have no place in the life of a child of Y"SHUA.

becauseHElives

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
george
unregistered

Icon 21 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australian author, Justyn Walker (26), has released his first children's fantasy novel, entitled The Magician's Daughter. Likened by many to a modern day Narnia, this fast-paced and humorous novel is being marketed as a Christian alternative to the Harry Potter series.

"All we needed to do was say it was a Christian alternative to Harry Potter, and the response was almost always … 'Well it's about time!' " (Justyn Walker)

Readers have described it as riveting, hilarious, imaginative, and as good or better than the fantasy literature kids are reading at schools, including (according to some kids), the Harry Potter books.

The story stars two unlikely heroes: Georgie Tanner, an abandoned child; and Thomas Finnigan, the schoolyard whimp. The loveable characters have their roots in experiences the author has had with orphans and street kids. In the back of the book the author states:
"I wrote The Magician's Daughter to express how I believe God seeks his children, in a crazy, mixed-up world of humor, tragedy, evil, hope and fear; and how amidst the chaos a great magician is unfolding his master plan."

Georgie and Thomas might be used to rejection in their own world, but that all changes one day when they sink through a magical puddle into the land of Allegoria. There Georgie is told that she is the adopted daughter of the Great Magician, the king of the whole world. As their adventures progress she learns to believe this, and to trust that the elusive Great Magician will not let her down, even when it seems like he, too, has forgotten her.

The Magician's Daughter introduces a Genesis 3 parallel and is the first book in a series of three. The second in the series will be launched next year and will have a strong gospel theme; while the last book will resemble Acts and our mission to the world because of what Christ has done.

Alongside the novel, the author is also preparing a video documentary, showing kids how a novel is written, from the time of the first idea, right through to when it rolls off the press. The video is an educational aid for schools, and will be made available, free of charge, to every Christian school in Australia, and to selected public schools.

The novel, The Magician's Daughter is available from the web site named after the book's main character, www.georgietanner.com; or you can ask for it at your local Christian bookstore.
Comments By Readers …
"Riveting! Loved it all. I think it is much better writing than the fantasy literature our son Tim has been given to read at school at the moment (the "Droon" books) and he is 8 about to turn 9. Would be good read aloud even to 6 year olds perhaps? P.S. I've done studies in kids' literature and I think Justyn's writing is REALLY good!"
- Nola Norris, Dip Teach, B Ed, M Ed.

"It's fantastic!"
- Christian Childrens' Books Reviewer
"I think your book, The Magician's Daughter sounds great. I think the school St. Mary's School for Particularly Difficult Children is a funny name. I love the pictures & the teachers because they sound funny but mean but I suppose they have to be to keep the kids under control. I think it is a good book, which is very weird of me because I don't usually like any other books but the 700 by Enid Blyton. So your book must be good. I also think that it is a lot like C.S.Lewis's books of the Narnia series and a bit like Enid Blyton books at the start and I think that is a good sign. Plus I would love to see many more pictures in the next book. I think that the pictures are great! P.S I love your book Justyn.
- Hannah Cohen (11)

"Very Impressed. I haven't read more than the first chapter of a novel in about four years, but with The Magician's Daughter I woke up two hours before I had to catch my school bus to read it ..... I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait for the next installment. It made me laugh so much I cried, it's a GREAT book and I recommend it to any age group!!! P.S. The dragon is so cool!!!"
- Philippa Yeats (15)

"I absolutely LOVED The Magician's Daughter! Half the time I was cracking up. I brought it to work with me and read it at every break. Too many funny things in that book!"
- Melissa Skarnas (22)

"It was hard to put The Magician's Daughter down once I started reading it. The characters were interesting. Georgie and Thomas are likable if unlikely heroes and Justyn shows a lot of imagination in the obstacles and tasks that he devises for them. You are never quite sure how things are going to work out until you get to the end. I also read the book to my 8 year old daughter who loved it. My 9 year old son is also enjoying it and is currently about half-way through reading it for himself."
- David Henderson, father of 3
"I loved it. I can't wait for the next one!"
- Christian Bookstore Manager

"I thought that The Magician's Daughter was absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to read more about Georgie & Thomas and their funny and outrageous adventures. Once I picked up the book I found it really hard to put down. Very enjoyable and I recommend it to anyone of any age!!!"
- Kate Thitchener (14)

"My son said it's better than Harry Potter! He's looking forward to the next in the series."
- Father of Harry Potter fan

"Great fantasy for children and adults alike, exciting and interesting characters, amusing situations and dialogue. Hard to put down once you start. It was like watching a movie, I could see the different situations happening in my head!"
- Lorna McAuslan, grandmother

"An enchanting story of good and evil, magic and adventure. Reminiscent of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Harry Potter and the Magic Faraway Tree. A great read that all kids will love."
- Primary School Teacher, NSW Public School

"Best Christian fantasy novel I've ever come across'
- Christian bookstore employee

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement