Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » God's Love Never Ceases

Author Topic: God's Love Never Ceases
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 16 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether Benched or In Lineup, God's Love Never Ceases
Todd Walker, Cincinnati Reds

By Doug Greengard
Christian Sports Minute
July 12, 2002

(AgapePress) - Todd Walker, second baseman for the Cincinnati Reds, did it all in college. He led Louisiana State University to the College World Series title in 1993, became the first player in school history to bat .400, and was recognized as the best collegiate second basemen ever.

Walker, the first-round draft choice of the Minnesota Twins in 1994, was expected to have the same kind of success on the professional level. But the transition didn’t happen as quickly as he would like. “If I’m struggling or having success, the Lord teaches me about humility and faith,” Walker says.

In 1997, while in Minnesota, Walker spent much of the season in an unfamiliar place -- watching from the bench. That season, Walker played in just 52 games and batted only .237.

“When the smoke cleared, I realized that God hadn’t let me down,” he says. “If you go through struggles, it’s to learn and grow. It made me a better player.”

Walker, playing for his third team in the last four years, was traded from Colorado to Cincinnati during the 2001 season, one of his best ever. The former LSU All-American blasted a career high 17 homeruns and notched career highs in several other categories. No matter the circumstances, the Bakersfield, California, native keeps the same Christ-centered perspective.

“If I’m able to keep Christ first in my life and focus on him on a daily basis regardless of what I’m doing, then I’m able to stay happy day in and day out,” Walker says.

Named the Twins most improved player in ’98, Walker realizes that baseball -- and life -- will be filled with plenty of ups and downs. But always knowing God’s unconditional love keeps everything in perspective.

“In a game that’s, ‘what have you done for me lately,’ it’s always nice to know that no matter what you do, God loves you and looks at you the same way,” Walker says. “That’s very comforting to know.”

Walker plans to keep his eyes on Jesus when life is throwing him pitches he can and cannot hit.

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement