Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Old time religion to the new Russia

Author Topic: Old time religion to the new Russia
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 16 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing the old time religion to the new Russia

Kelowna journalist John Keery recently participated in a special outreach to Russia. This is his account of the highlights.

ABBOTSFORD couple David and Leonora Redekop spent two weeks in southern Russia last month, talking about Jesus Christ.The trip had a very personal meaning for them.

"Both our parents were born not far from Rostov," David told me. "I studied Mennonite history and learned about our forebears."

The couple -- who had made several previous missions trips to Russia -- were participating in Russia Sonrise, an initiative sponsored by Campus Crusade for Christ Canada; the purpose was to show the Jesus film at various locations, from May 29 to June 14.

Most of the 16 other participants had a similar Mennonite or Folk German background. Jacob Redekopp (no relation), a retired Winnipeg bus driver who fled from his home in Ukraine in 1943, has almost made a second career of missions trips. "Going back is a way to share the gospel with our Russian and Ukrainian neighbours," he said. "Speaking both languages is a big help."

Redekopp grew up in a German-speaking Mennonite community; but as a schoolboy, he was forced to study in Ukrainian and Russian. He vividly recalls barely keeping ahead of the war front with a wagon and one old horse -- left, at 15, as head of the family, because his older brother and father had been called to war service. "It was horrible," he said. "All you thought about was how to get something to eat and survive."

Most in the group had similar stories. Adolph Horn grew up in Volynia, which was taken from Poland in 1939 and became part of the Ukraine. He and his family were forced to move several times in the next few years, and he barely made it to West Germany at the end of the war. His older brother was drafted into the German army, and was killed.

Now retired after 37 years with the City of Edmonton, he was going back "to show my gratitude to the Lord, to help fulfil the great commission. Everyone is supposed to help bring the gospel to the ends of the world."

People had told me about Russia's economic problems; so I steeled myself to see a lot of bad things. But I was almost shocked to see how clean and apparently prosperous Moscow has become. The people are still under tremendous economic pressure, but I did not see any of the hopelessness I was expecting.

The most outstanding impression of Moscow is the sheer size of everything there. The streets are wide, the buildings big and everywhere there are huge public spaces. Russians love monuments; everywhere, there are big brass statues or fountains dedicated to heroes from the various wars or the Revolution. Lenin still rests in his tomb in Red Square -- and he is also out and about in public squares around the country.

Gold-leaf-covered domes of renovated and new Orthodox churches colour the skyline in every city and large town. In Moscow, the Church of Christ the Saviour -- which Stalin tore down and replaced with a swimming pool -- has been rebuilt over the past five years, at enormous cost. It is hard to believe that something with so much ornate marble wood and painted plaster can still be done today. But it is there, huge and brand new, much like it must have looked centuries ago.

We spent 10 days in Rostov-on-Don, staying at a former sanitarium. Worship at Rostov Baptist Church was very traditional, with hymns sung to piano music and a common communion cup with real wine. The church had huge windows and a light blue interior reminiscent of its Russian Orthodox cousins. But here, instead of icons, there were huge Bible verses scrolled across the walls. I enjoyed the singing, even though I didn't understand much except the word for God.

Our Jesus film team visited small villages around Azov, a city 50 kilometres southwest of Rostov. I still have to pinch myself to believe I was there in those rural streets with the cows and goats, shouting over big iron fences to summon the villagers.

Our first showing was in Kulechevko, a small place built around a baby food factory. The local students we were working with insisted that we stay in the background -- because, they said, these people are children of the famous Don Cossacks and suspect outsiders. Also, another group from the West had been around a few weeks before and had been a bit pushy, leaving a negative impression.

The first showing drew about 100 people -- mostly young children -- and they seemed to enjoy it. We had only one 16-millimetre projector; so while we were switching reels, someone from an Azov church, or one of the students -- gave a testimony or read a poem. To save time, we usually skipped the second of the film's four reels; that section contains a lot of Christ's miracles -- but missing it takes very little away from the basic story, and it gave us more time to witness to people.

When the film was over, people were asked to hold up their hands if they prayed the prayer at the end of the film. Usually about half did. We would try to guide them through the famous 'Four Spiritual Laws' booklet. Anyone who requested a New Testament was given one. They were all invited to enrol in a Bible study; if they attended all four weekly studies, they would receive a full Bible.

One night I took two girls, Nadia and Masha, through the four laws, with the help of an interpreter. They said they had prayed the prayer, but were not sure about the Bible study. I sensed that they wanted to accept the message of Jesus as presented in the film, but were not sure how this would fit with their Orthodox Church background. The picture of their faces will be the most enduring image of my trip.

There are many like Nadia and Masha in rural areas; they want to be Christians, but find it hard to get the support and companionship they need. Evangelicals operate only in the bigger urban centres. The Orthodox church has few youth programs, and does little to teach its people about their faith.

I am glad our role was to support the local church people. rather than be the 'big boys' from out of town telling them what to do.

With our encouragement, donations and prayers, the church in Russia will grow and bring new hope to a lovely people who have taken more than their share of hard knocks.

But it won't be easy -- or quick.

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement